Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in about 1968 when the anti-gun fanatics were really hitting their stride, I had a friend who was a retired college professor. Sadly, he was convinced that guns, and especially hand guns, were the tools of the devil and the cause of just about every evil you could name. One day I dropped in to visit and to my astonishment on the kitchen counter were several boxes of cartridges! Seems his father in law had died at age 97 and in cleaning out his effects the cartridges were found along with what he called an old gun. My professor friend was about to turn these satanic objects into the local police to be destroyed! After some argument, to no avail, I pointed out that the gun and ammo had some monetary value. That put a different complection on things, and to make a long story not quite so long, I ended up $150 poorer, but a New Service and ammo richer. The professors conscience was soothed by the money. I've often wonded how many other fine and/or historic guns were sacrificed on the alter of gun control through the years.

My NS is in the 58000 serial range, circ 1913, .44 Russian Cal. 7 1/2 " bbl. retains about 99% gorgeous dark blue, fire blue on trigger and rear hammer surface, bore mechanics and hard rubber grips are mint. The cartridges are all UMC and include paper wad shot, wood bullet shot, gallery, mid range target, and 246gr. 3 of these were still in a wooden UMC shipping box. The NS was still in the Colt box which still had the shipping tissue and great label.

Iv'e posted some pics at;

http://richard1.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album05

If you click on the individual picture a larger picture will appear, click on that picture for a closeup. I'd appreciate your comments.

Regards,
Arbee

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
holy cow!!! beautiful gun, i`m sure present day value of the cartridges exceed your orig cash outlay. who says guns arent a good investment. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well Arbee congrats to you.If you allow I have a similar yarn myself to tell.About two years ago I received as a gift from my elder daughters´s boyfriend - several boxes of .22 LR ammo.I was astonished since I knew of no involvement of him in the shooting matters.He then told me his granpa owned two handguns and had left them to his mother.I asked him to pick up the guns and read anything on them.One was a SW lemmon squeezer .38 SW and the other behold - was a k 22 from 1958.I then asked what his mother intended to do and to my dismay he told me she was thinkimg in throwing both into the sea.Well to shorten the story I convinced them to trade the guns to me in return to some cuttlery items I had.So also a happy end.Regards , Raimundo.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This is a great New Service,and great that it DID NOT go to the police(pretty sure that some cop who knew a tad about guns would've "appropriated it": at least I hope so,not to condone their thefts,but to save a wonderful gun from the smelter.

Does the barrel say ."44 Special and Russian",or just ."44 Russian?" I can't quite make out the inscription on the photo. This 1913 era was one of transition,and even though the slightly longer .44 Special came out in 1907,Colt did not mark the barrel change 'til around 1913.

If you can get a hold of a .44 Special case or round,see if it will fit,as many,only marked ."44 Russian",have the cylinder reamed a tad longer for the .44 Special.

The box looks to be in great shape,and it looks like the professors' in law took great care of "the package",and hopefully,he cleaned the gun's bore and chambers well,as the ammo at this time was corrosive.

Thanks for sharing this amazing gun,and I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard!!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow! That gun is awesome! I love the looks of the big New Service Colts. Have you ever fired it? I bet its a tack-driver, my only New Service is a .455 and very accurate.

It's great that you were able to preserve that piece of history and fine craftsmanship.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Great save, arbee. Congratulations on having the where-with-all to make the purchase way back then. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bud,

The barrel marking is ".44 Russian Ctg." I've never fired the piece or tried to chamber a .44 special cartridge, should try one I suppose. The old boy took good care of his shootin iron, bore and chambers are mint.

I don't shoot much anymore, used to be an avid hunter and competition shooter, but old age has caught up with me. Spend most of my time now supporting the medical profession or taking naps.

Thanks for you comments.

Regards,

·
Registered
576 Posts
That sure is a beauty, Arbee. Thanks for posting. With the condition, the box and the ammo, that's valuable piece you have there, for sure.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Finds like that take my breath away!

The fortunate thing is that there are still revolvers out there in that condition to be found.

Gives one another reason to get up in the morning.

Thanks for sharing. I would guess on auction that revolver would start a dandy bidding war.

Hope your health improves. From another old goatee.

Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm green...
Lotsa luck with a great find! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts