Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our area is host to several film shoots at any given time. Deputies from my agency do "extra" jobs working security when they film on location.

This is an Amazon Prime production set just prior to the Civil War. This company hired a gentleman to provide period guns. There were some reproduction 1851 Colts and Dragoons etc.

Some of the rifles were originals though. I got to examine a Halls Ferry and some others. I talked guns with him and some other gun wranglers.

Very interesting afternoon!

Best,
Charles

·
Registered
10,353 Posts
There is a Halls rifle and and several Harpers Ferry rifles. The Halls rifle, which was an early breech loader, ended up being produced at Harpers Ferry.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
At one time a few production companies hired re-enactors as extras, background color and just warm bodies. I don't know if it is still common as I've been out of the game for a while. We had the proper period clothes, hats, footwear, guns and accouterments and knew how things were worn and used. Some of the guys (and women) had originals but most had reproductions. It was really fun visiting with folks and talking history and looking and other's kit.

Movie making can be real tough on guns. During "Alamo: The Price of Freedom" a guy brought an original Brown Bess. While breaching the north wall, an over-exuberant "Texan" blocked him and broke the wrist of the Bess. Never saw him again on the set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts