Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical.

Would you feel adequately armed (sidearmwise anyway) with a 4.5-7.5 inch Colt SAA .45 Long Colt TODAY if you were a civilian traveler overseas in a foreign country or perhaps a foreign observer or maybe even a U.S. soldier in war zone country? (keeping in mind that a handgun is a defensive not an offensive weapon.

Such as: An officer or NCO in Afghanistan
A tourist in Honduras or Mexico
A reporter/writer/construction in Afghanistan

I know the best answer is: "better than nothing at all, but I'd rather have a 1911 .45 ACP."

But if it was all you were allowed to carry (no military weapons allowed) or even comparing it to having a 9mm Beretta M9.

It's obvious major drawback is reloading time. But still, it's simplicity, power and record says a lot. A gun that saw men through the Indian Wars, the Spanish-American war in Cuba, Guam, the Phillippines, the Phillippine Insurrection (and the foes faced) and could at least get the average man out of a bad way today if someone tried to kidnap, ambush or carjack them in a foreign country.

You're traveling with the US Army as a reporter and suddenly you're ambushed, taking cover and if an enemy soldier or bandit gets to you, you can throw a .45 caliber 250 gr. Lead bullet into his chest.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
it seems that most bad guys in the countries you named carry AK's. if I was going to carry a handgun for self defense in any country other than here I want lots of boolots. I love the history and romance of the colt SAA but not for ccw. there are better choices.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I'm sorry sir but in todays age it is much like a sword, would look good with the uniform for dress purposes, but would not be anyone's choice in battle. I like nostalgia too, but this is a little far fetched, even for me. Now if you were to say that all the BG's would have muskets and slingshots then we might be able to talk.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Nope, not at all.

Kudos to ussmanlovede36. I was going to mention AKs, too.
Estimates are there are 70 to 100 million AKs in the world counting Russian/Soviet, ex-Warsaw Pact, Chinese and derrivative designed rifles.

Even without modern rifles I wouldn't choose a SAA.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Maybe for the tourist in Honduras scenario, if the SAA owner is well practiced.

I spent three years in Afghanistan as a police advisor. IF a 7 1/2" SAA was my only choice, OK. But I wouldn't pick it as 1st choice.

Now, my S&W M625, chambered in .45 ACP, with a bushel basket of loaded full moonclips, yes. I didn't care much for the Beretta M92 I was issued. I also had an M4. Since I seldom did any foot patrol, I'd have rather had my Springfield Armory SOCCOM.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Don't be silly sir. We all know that it is the revolvers and semi autos that are so common in the USA that present a threat to the peace and tranquility of such docile countries as Mexico. The full auto firearms you can buy in other countries for <100.00 certainly couldn't be an issue. Isn't it amazing how Canada doesn't seem to have a issue created by United States firearm ownership?
Nope, not at all.

Estimates are there are 70 to 100 million AKs in the world counting Russian/Soviet, ex-Warsaw Pact, Chinese and derrivative designed rifles.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Not at all - that's why they invented larger magazines.

Having actually carried an M9 in Afghanistan (and everyplace else) as an Officer - I also carried an M4 and had a pump shotgun in the vehicle, and wished they made a shoulder-fired GE Minigun.

A single action revolver is a losing proposition in places where the average bad guy is carrying an AK or MP5 - though it looks cute as hell, and would no doubt make someone a dandy souvenir.

Go ahead - try it.

And try getting a piece to carry in a Latin American country - just for the hell of it.

Before long, we'll get a query from Achmed or Ramon saying "I just picked up a Colt Single Action Army recently, can anyone tell me what it's worth, and when it was made?'"

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, as you said, I'd much rather have my Government Model, but if I got into a tight spot with a bad guy up close and personal and had to draw a single action, I'd be happy to have it. I'd probably have a 5 1/2" .357 (I know, I know) and do have a .44, and use it to drop the first guy to get to me then take his AK and reholster my Colt. I'd do that no matter which handgun I was carrying, if I had no rifle. I've carried mine concealed a few times but I wouldn't take it to a war zone.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If I had to draw a stick because it was all I had, I'd be glad to have it, too.
But, it certainly would NOT be my first, or even 50th, choice, if I HAD a choice. :)
Denis

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
If it were all I could carry, I'd feel well armed.
I'd practice till the world looked level, then practice some more.
For the first shot from the leather there are fewer faster guns & that's likely what will let you come home that night.
There are methods of shooting a SA (& it doesn't involve fanning) that will allow VERY fast hits up close.
If you reach the level of skill that'll really see you through, I think for all but a massive attack you'll be fine.
There is a lot to be said for a big heavy bullet traveling at a moderate speed that'll stop even determined attacks.
The .45 ACP was developed to duplicate the .45 Colts effectiveness in an auto!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it were all I could carry, I'd feel well armed.
I'd practice till the world looked level, then practice some more.
For the first shot from the leather there are fewer faster guns & that's likely what will let you come home that night.
There are methods of shooting a SA (& it doesn't involve fanning) that will allow VERY fast hits up close.
If you reach the level of skill that'll really see you through, I think for all but a massive attack you'll be fine.
There is a lot to be said for a big heavy bullet traveling at a moderate speed that'll stop even determined attacks.
The .45 ACP was developed to duplicate the .45 Colts effectiveness in an auto!
^ THIS is the kind of discussion/thinking I'm trying to spark.

What most others are missing is the bold/italic/underlined portion of Frank V's reply. I understand what everyone else is saying and largely agree (i don't know I'd go so far as to say it's an antique no different than a sword). It is not the first and probably not even the 10th or 20th choice BUT RATHER IF WAS YOUR ONLY OPTION. If I'm in a war zone, I'm not looking for a handgun at all, I'm looking for an AR-15 or an M-1 carbine at least. BUT if, sidearmwise, all I had available was a SAA .45 LC to stick on my belt.

A handgun is a defensive weapon, it's designed to keep the bad guy off you, get you out of trouble and/or shoot your way to a rifle or help. It's not for offensive purposes.

A single action .45 is actually carried by some folks in the U.S. today for concealed carry. I actually carry my new vaquero every now and then just to be familiar with it. BUT, usually I carry a Double Action .38 Spl. service revolver, a .357 Magnum service revolver a .45 ACP 1911 or a Beretta M9 9mm. The only real drawback about the Single Action is it's time to reload. A secondary minor is the fact that you have to use single action to fire it (but as Frank V pointed out, that can be somewhat overcome).

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Doug38pr- Considering your hypothetical parameters, and with the handgun as a defensive sidearm as you stated, I think I would feel as easy with a Colt SAA in 45 Colt as I would with a 1911 or most any other handgun. Of course if there were a dozen people shooting at me ,I might like the 1911 with 4 extra magazines,just because it would be faster to reload. But it sounds like from your post that it is a 1 on 1 scenario.
I am understanding from your post that rifles or shotguns are not included -just handguns.
I don't know of any handgun that is going to be that much better than another, if someone is shooting at you with a semi auto or full auto rifle. Of course in that scenario one good shoot with whatever you have may be all you need.
So I don't see anything that bad about the SAA.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope, not at all.

Even without modern rifles I wouldn't choose a SAA.
Honestly, if somebody(s) are coming after me with AK-47s or M-16s or MP-4s.....I'm in deep trouble with ANY handgun.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doug38pr- Considering your hypothetical parameters, and with the handgun as a defensive sidearm as you stated, I think I would feel as easy with a Colt SAA in 45 Colt as I would with a 1911 or most any other handgun. Of course if there were a dozen people shooting at me ,I might like the 1911 with 4 extra magazines,just because it would be faster to reload. But it sounds like from your post that it is a 1 on 1 scenario.
I am understanding from your post that rifles or shotguns are not included -just handguns.
I don't know of any handgun that is going to be that much better than another, if someone is shooting at you with a semi auto or full auto rifle. Of course in that scenario one good shoot with whatever you have may be all you need.
So I don't see anything that bad about the SAA.
Exactly. Rifle or shotgun may or may not be involved. But it's not a situation that you're trying to go out of your way to pit a SAA (or any handgun for that matter) against a longarm. You might not even be THE target, you just might happen to be walking down the street (with some U.S. soldiers maybe or riding in their vehcile as a reporter or foreign observer) at the wrong time and Kaleem, Abdule and Jabar start shooting at Allah, Abu and Ackmed with handguns, rifles or whatever (or maybe all six of them start shooting at you and the U.S. soldiers you happen to be with) and you need to get out of there or and keep yourself from getting accidentally shot.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Honestly, if somebody(s) are coming after me with AK-47s or M-16s or MP-4s.....I'm in deep trouble with ANY handgun.
You set the scenarios, not me. I don't see where you ruled out being attacked by somebody with a rifle or select fire weapon in the 3 examples you espoused. I would think in all of them as quoted below, you would have a very high probability of being attacked with an AK or M-16, to a lesser extent.

"Would you feel adequately armed (sidearmwise anyway) with a 4.5-7.5 inch Colt SAA .45 Long Colt TODAY if you were a civilian traveler overseas in a foreign country or perhaps a foreign observer or maybe even a U.S. soldier in war zone country? (keeping in mind that a handgun is a defensive not an offensive weapon.

Such as: An officer or NCO in Afghanistan
A tourist in Honduras or Mexico
A reporter/writer/construction in Afghanistan" Doug.38PR

1 - 20 of 72 Posts