Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking through the Inet and found this archive collection. Has anyone here gone through it? I found it very interesting. Here are a couple of the titles in the collection: for Dec. 17, 1873 is a shipment of 130 U.S. Cavalry Pistols To A. Hoffman Veracruz, January 22, 275 pistols, to A. Hoffman, Veracruz, April 22, 300 U.S. pistols, to A. Hoffman, Veracruz, May 13, 100 U.S. pistols, to A. Hoffman, Veracruz, October 29, 175 cavalry pistols, to A. Hoffman, Veracruz.
Here is another interesting shipment:
December 30, 1876 10 Sharps rifles, 10 Needle guns, 5 Sharps carbines, 5 Peabodys, to
Freund and Brothers, Cheyenne, WY
March 10, 20 Sharps rifles, to Freund and Brothers, Cheyenne, WY
March 13, 20 Allin rifles, to C. Gove and Son, Cheyenne, WY
March 15, 10 Allen rifles, to Freund and Brothers, Cheyenne, WY
March 28, 10 Sharps rifles, to Freund and Brothers, Cheyenne, WY
March 31, 20 Allen rifles, to Freund and Brothers, Cheyenne, WY
April 11, 12 Sharps rifles, 20 Peabody carbines, 10 Sharps carbines, 20 Needham
rifles, 20 Remington rifles, 25 Allen rifles, marked "<H>," to Cheyenne
July 9, 10 Sharps carbines, to T. C. Zimmerman, Dodge City, KS
April 11, 1879-April 20, 1879
April 15, 37 Sharps sporting rifles, to E.C. Meacham and Company, St. Louis
April 18, 100 Allen rifles with bayonets, to E.C. Meacham and Company, St.Louis

There are a bunch more. Has anyone gone through the records? Here is the link: Schuyler, Hartley & Graham Papers, 1868-1963 | Harold McCracken Research Library

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The book "Arming The West" derived its information from the Harold McCracken Research Library. That book has zero (0) information on Colt serial numbers, although some serial numbers and destinations are listed for Sharps rifles.

John Gross

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
Thanks! It worked for me this time. Must have been a maintenance issue. I contacted them several years ago when I first found out they had this info because I have a couple engraved SAA's that were shipped to Hartley/Graham. I was told they would have some summer students work on sorting and cataloging this mass of information. Maybe they are making some headway.
It would be great if one of our Forum members wanted to take a long vacation/sabbatical and help them get the records in order. That would be a wonderful place for a person who lives in a big city to go and unwind.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It would be great if one of our Forum members wanted to take a long vacation/sabbatical and help them get the records in order. That would be a wonderful place for a person who lives in a big city to go and unwind.
Boy, if Simmons Hardware records were ever discovered; I'd volunteer my time year round until the cataloging was accomplished. Yeah, selfish motivation since I have a butt load of Simmons shipped guns, but don't we all!!!!!!! :eek: :D

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Boy, if Simmons Hardware records were ever discovered; I'd volunteer my time year round until the cataloging was accomplished. Yeah, selfish motivation since I have a butt load of Simmons shipped guns, but don't we all!!!!!!! :eek: :D
I had a 1891 SAA ( serial 136232) years ago that lettered to Elpaso Saddlery. I called them and was told they had a store room full of old sales records. I was tempted to take a vacation there!

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will take a trip down there soon and see if I can take a look. I am in Butte, Montana so it is really not that far. If I was in charge of the archives I would make it a priority to set up a serial number data base. Go through all the reccords write down makes and serials. Then make it searchable online for a small fee, like 20 searches for 20.00. Then charge more for a letter with complte info if the gun comes up in the database.

·
Premium Member
21,842 Posts
vytautus: Amen !! When I spoke with them a couple years ago, they did not seem to understand what the average collector cares most about.
That is linking guns by model/serial number to what was done with them as far as configuration, engraving and shipping destination.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.