Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking forward to doing some longer range shooting with my recently acquired 8" Python. I've found that B-Square makes a scope mount that clamps on the barrel vent rib and Weigand makes a lower-profile mount that would require drilling and tapping. At this point I'd prefer the Weigand because it would mount lower, however I suppose drilling/tapping would affect the gun's value, but it will likely stay with my son and if he likes it, so what!

Was the 8" Python ever offered as a 'Hunter' version with factory mount & scope? If so, what are the other differences from the non-hunter version?

All comments and suggestions welcome.

------------------
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes - Who's watching the watchers?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
There were several special scoped Python's issued as both factory limited production, and as special versions made for big wholesalers like Lew Horton.

One factory version was the Python Hunter. This was an 8" .357 with a Leupold 2X scope.
This came in a fitted Haliburton aluminum case, and was only offered in 1981.

In the case of your Python, drilling will lower the value dramatically, and for this reason, I'd use one of the no-drill clamp-on mounts, just to preserve it's originality.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts