Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thank you Jim for the mighty fine action and signature Jim Martin grips. This was purchased separately from a matched pair at my LGS here in Phoenix. It was manufactured in 1998. My only question is what type of wood was used on the grips? Is it maple? I probably should run back to the gun store and grab the other one.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Good job on finding that Colt, and an action job by "Mr. Colt Action Job" hisself, you can't go wrong my friend, as Jim knows more about the inside of a Colt SAA than just about anyone else on the planet. I've also seen a lot of Jim's Colt grips and they're also top drawer stuff.

I know if it were me, I'd already be back buyin' the mate.

Well done.

Bud

First off, thank you Jim for the mighty fine action and signature Jim Martin grips. This was purchased separately from a matched pair at my LGS here in Phoenix. It was manufactured in 1998. My only question is what type of wood was used on the grips? Is it maple? I probably should run back to the gun store and grab the other one.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
The grips were made using Australian Ash,in all the years I've made grips these 2 sets are the only ones I made using this wood,as far as I know they are the only ones in existence using this kind of wood,a friend of mine brought enough for 2 pair home w/him in his suitcase on one of his trips from there.He also brought some Australian fiddleback oak,the grips made from that now live in Florida.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Colts are very expensive, especially with the JM custom features here, and it's easy for us to just say, "Go get the other one, too!" And since it is so easy to say that all I have to say is
Go buy the other one, too!" I think Jim's signature on first glance are the flat bottom grips and the beveled "step" where the grip strap meets the frame up top. If only two pairs of that wood exists, it would be great to have the pair, though.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
By the way boys, I had a nice visit with Jim on my way to Reno, the 12th of the month. A very gracious and knowledgeable host. We (my girlfriend and I) stayed about an hour and had a great time. Thanks for having us in to meet you and the dogs. See you next time through, God willing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.