Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend suggested replacing the flash hider on my AR with a screw-on type. (I think he was a little disgusted.)

I don't know what part to look for. If someone could give me a part name/number or link, I would appreciate.

Forgive the drum mag. I was either having a teenage flashback when I bought it or I must have got caught up in all the post-Newtown hysteria. Anyway, not my usual deal on that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
From what it looks like - you already have a screw-on flash hider.

No clue why he'd suggest that, or be disgusted- but maybe he thinks you need the A2 birdcage, with the solid bottom, but yours does the same thing.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A2 birdcage. I believe that's the answer I was looking for. I think mine is clamped or pinned on. Sorry about the lack of a close-up photo.

·
Registered
658 Posts

You will need parts 4 and 5.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,876 Posts
First thing you have to know is whether the barrel is threaded. If not, that make things a lot more complicated.

Best option is to remove the barrel attachment an see what you have under it.
If the attachment is clamped on you should see screws or Allen head screws somewhere.

If it's pinned, it was probably done during the Assault Weapon ban and those were mounted on the barrel were mounted by welding, silver soldering, or blind pinning.
Fist step is to try to unscrew the attachment. You'll need an upper receiver vise of clamp fixture and a AR tool that fits the flats on the attachment.

If it won't unscrew, look for a bead of weld, usually on the bottom side. This will have to be cut through to allow unscrewing the attachment.

If the part was silver soldered, you may see signs of the solder around the joint. This will require heating the attachment to a dull red heat up above 1100 degrees to melt the silver solver and kept there while the brake is screwed off.

Some Ban rifles had parts blind pinned and welded. In this method the part was put on the barrel, a hole was drilled most of the way through the part and the barrel, a pin was driven into the blind hole, and the open hole was welded shut.
These are difficult to get off.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I wouldn't replace it until I'd shot it a while, who cares what your friend thinks?! It reminds me of those old Cutts compensators that were put on a lot of shotguns (and Tommy guns) in the 40s. Looked funny, but worked to reduce recoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts