Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are screw set threads the same for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation guns or are there differences? I know there are screw sets for blackpowder frame guns and smokeless guns, but are they generation specific.

·
Registered
153 Posts
First and second gen screws are generally interchangeable. The third gen stuff is metric and a different thread cut ( finer). There are finer differences in each generation, check with the Judge or somebody to get the specific dates of change.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Are screw set threads the same for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation guns or are there differences? I know there are screw sets for blackpowder frame guns and smokeless guns, but are they generation specific.
I have to respectfully disagree with P. Quig: there are differences but I think he has confused 2nd gen SAAs with PRE WAR/POST WAR SAAs.

1.) There are no metric Colt SAAs. That myth was started back in 1976 by several erroneous gun rag articles when the 3rd gen SAAs were introduced.
2.) 1st gens and Post War/Pre War SAAs (which were assembled on 1st gen frames) use the same screw set threads.
3.) 2nd and 3rd gen screws sets are the same. For example: the ejector attachment screws for both are a standard 6x40 USA thread.
4.) Black powder frame screw sets only differ from the above two sizes because they have one extra screw to retain the cylinder pin.

I'm glad you asked that question and hope I've answered it clearly.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Hondo44,

Very clear, except: What are the screw thread designations? You mention 6-40 fro the ejector rod housing, what about the others?

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
According to the "Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms" (Brownell's, 1959), the screw for the front of the trigger guard and rear (bottom) of the backstrap (part #51565) is 6x36 thread. The rear trigger guard screws (part #51566) are 8x36 and the top backstrap screws (part #51572) are 8x36. The Encyclopedia goes into much more detail on the sizes of the screw heads and lengths as well. It's a handy book to have in the shop. Note that the screw head shapes and sizes are different for some of these. Brownells current catalog (paper and on-line) lists these parts for sale.
(Above part numbers may or may not correspond to modern numbers. I don't have the information at hand.)
Modern Colt Single Action Army screws are certainly not metric.

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hondo44,

Very clear, except: What are the screw thread designations? You mention 6-40 fro the ejector rod housing, what about the others?

Bob Wright
Hi Bob,

Off the top of me head I know that the six grip frame screws are:

1st gen & PW/PW = 8x34 all six the same
2nd & 3rd gen = 8x36 all six the same

I don't have any hammer/trigger/cyl bolt screws out of guns right now, but will check next time I do.

Jim

P.S. The grips screws: 1st gen = 6x38; 2nd & 3rd gen = 6x40.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
According to the "Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms" (Brownell's, 1959), the screw for the front of the trigger guard and rear (bottom) of the backstrap (part #51565) is 6x36 thread. The rear trigger guard screws (part #51566) are 8x36 and the top backstrap screws (part #51572) are 8x36. The Encyclopedia goes into much more detail on the sizes of the screw heads and lengths as well. It's a handy book to have in the shop. Note that the screw head shapes and sizes are different for some of these. Brownells current catalog (paper and on-line) lists these parts for sale.
(Above part numbers may or may not correspond to modern numbers. I don't have the information at hand.)
Modern Colt Single Action Army screws are certainly not metric.

- - - Buckspen
Hi Buckspen,

That type of source is usually a very good general source. However as in this case, contains errors. It appears you were quoting for 2nd & 3rd gen SAAs. Please see response to Bob above for actual screw sizes.

The difference in part numbers is due to the different OA length and screw cap depth.

Possibly the Encycopedia was quoting for the Colt Cowboy. I won't own one of those and quite possibly it's a horse of another color.

Jim

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
All,

It just occurred to me that possibly the Metric 3rd gen myth was also partly based on the fact that 1st gen and 2nd barrels threads are the same at 20 TPI, while 3rd gens are 24 TPI (the same as Ruger mid-frame barrels and the majority of Ruger large frames, by the way).

Jim

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
All,

It just occurred to me that possibly the Metric 3rd gen myth was also party based on the fact that 1st gen and 2nd barrels threads are the same at 20 TPI, while 3rd gens are 24 TPI (the same as Ruger mid-frame barrels and the majority of Ruger large frames, by the way).

Jim
Aha! I have been seeing references to Three Screw Rugers being fitted with Colt SAA barrels. I'm seriously thinking of finding a 7 1/2" .357 Magnum barrel for one of my Rugers. Don't know why Ruger settled on 6 1/2" for his .357s when the 7 1/2 looks and feels so much better.

Bob Wright

And........Recently did a Google search for barrels, and was directed to the Jack Daniels site!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Hondo - Thank you for the correction. There is indeed a misprint in the Brownell's book. The screws are all 8-36 thread with some different head configurations and lengths. The last publication date for the Brownell's encyclopedia was 1961, so it would not include any information on a Colt Cowboy. It's the first error I've noticed in the book but there are probably more.
Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the Colt Single Action Army has the correct sizes on page 218.

- - - Buckspen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.