Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy Special Combat Government pistol but the picture of the gun shows a screw in one of the holes that is on trigger. What is this and what would cause it to be seen?
Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
It's probably an overtravel screw, and why they positioned it to pass through one of the lightening holes is a mystery to me.

Buck

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,881 Posts
Positioning.
1911 trigger stop screws stop against the magazine catch.
There's nothing else in that area of the frame for a screw to contact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a novice on this type of situation...does this mean there is an issue on this particular gun and it is defective or is it just a matter of tightening it ? Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is a factory trigger. The pistol also came with a target that was shot at the factory so you can verify the guns accuracy potential.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The screw is adjusted so the the trigger just trips the sear and then stops moving to the rear. It's common on a competition gun when you are trying to wring the last bit of accuracy out of the gun. If you tighten the screw down, it won't trip the sear and the gun won't fire. If the gun is for self defense, I'd take the screw completely out and avoid a potentially fatal problem if it fails to fire when you really need it to.

An alternative is to adjust it properly and fix the screw in place with blue LocTite.

But if you don't know what you are doing, leave that to a competent gunsmith.

Buck

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,881 Posts
As above, if this is a defense gun a possibly smart move would be to remove the stop screw.
If the screw should shift, it might prevent the trigger from moving far enough to fire the gun. This could be fatal, and the screw is just one more thing to go wrong.

If the gun is a Match or range gun the stop is an aid to more accurate shooting.
The stop was properly set at the factory and should not be changed.
Trying to improve the setting often either gives a worse setting or causes the gun to fail to fire, or damages internal parts.
If set too close but to where it still allows the hammer to drop, the sear and hammer can be ruined.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
As stated, the screw is factory and set at Colt. If NIB you're good, if buying used the previous owner "may" have messed with it and in that case simply remove if you have concerns or have competent gunsmith check and set. Not a deal killer in the least.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the great info and input. The gun is new so I feel with the above info there won't be an issue just removing it if need be. You Guys are the best!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts