Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dfariswheel, While I was reading some old posts (I think), I encountered a post by you identifying a rather modest set of Brownells screwdriver tips that were appropriate for the majority of screws encountered in Colt revolvers. Now I can't even find it by searching. Would you be kind enough to repeat that information? TIA :confused:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
I always liked the Brownell's Law Enforcement handle.
The big handle is too big for most work, and the Stubby handle is too small.

Brownell's does/did sell the LE handle in a "clip-tip" and in a collet tip.
The collet tip has a screw collet to keep the bit from wobbling.

Here's the sizes I used on Colt revolvers.
120-3
120-4
150-3
150-4
180-2
180-3
180-4
210-3

These also cover most S&W and other revolver screws.
The reason for the -3 and -4 sizes is, some screw slots are a little tighter than others, and sometimes you need a slightly thicker or thinner bit.

When you get the bits, use a fine stone to slightly round off he SIDES of the blade.
This prevents gouging or marring the sides of the screw hole.

If you damage or break a bit, Brownell's will replace them FREE. You don't even have to make it part of an order, just email them with the sizes you broke, and they'll mail you new ones.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the information again. Hope it is helpful to others also. Perhaps where I saw it was buried in a topic that was not as obvious as right here in GunColting. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
I broke down and bought that big 58 bit super set of bits from Brownells along with the LE magnetic and shorty handles and case. I've never been more pleased with a tool before in my life. What have I been thinking of these last 40 years?

·
Registered
113 Posts
dfariswheel ..............

I always liked the Brownell's Law Enforcement handle.
The big handle is too big for most work, and the Stubby handle is too small.
/QUOTE]

The LE Magnetic Handle fits my hand better than the other handles as well. Off the top of your head, "without doin' a whole lot of checkin", how many of the bits I have for my Colt ,45 XSE Gov't Model, will work on my newly acquired USFA Colt Bisley??? If you or someone has that info handy, I'd like to hear from you. What are the basic bits you'd recommend for the Bisley? Good advise about rounding off the sharp edges of each bit just enough to take away the sharp edges. Heard that recommendation from a retired sixgun smith a while ago, but haven't done it my new set of Brownell tools yet. This is what forums are all about! A little bit of something for everyone's particular interest, like a passing parade! Coyote, haven't heard from you since you got the "Milt Sparks" rig for that "beautatious" USFA 3"-"Storekeeper" toy of yours. Chime in ole buddy, I'm sure you can answer my question! USFA "owner's and admirer's", check out the USFA Forum as well. Some good folks there too; like my "ole bud" Coyote !
Shadow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts