Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up two first gen Colt saa’s this past week both with broken/“make do” springs. They are both refinished nickel. Of the last few I have bought 3 have had this same thing. Is this just a broken and made to get by or a way to sell as functional, or is this used to lighten,stiffer or other reason other than just to make it work? Not a big deal to me as I will just replace and shoot. Thanks for any feedback.
35B4E85C-095D-444A-8F98-24FCE335ABB2.jpeg AD5BA92C-958E-4B8A-8013-B1C7FD532615.jpeg

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Picked up two first gen Colt saa’s this past week both with broken/“make do” springs. They are both refinished nickel. Of the last few I have bought 3 have had this same thing. Is this just a broken and made to get by or a way to sell as functional, or is this used to lighten,stiffer or other reason other than just to make it work? Not a big deal to me as I will just replace and shoot. Thanks for any feedback.
View attachment 463698 View attachment 463706
It has nothing to do w/improving the action,it's a make do fix to sell a "working" gun.

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is a repair that I have used before, in fact I have one in a SA now. I've had several Colt made bolt springs snap in these guns over the years but have never had one of my repaired springs break. As long as the repaired spring is strong enough to function reliably, what is the problem? The originals are famous for their failure rate and if a spring breaks in a Colt SA this, the bolt spring, is usually the one. I know the argument against this fix, that it can cause the cylinder bolt to bounce out of its notch in the cylinder if the action is worked fast causing the the cylinder to over travel its proper locked position, but I have never had this problem. It is also true that the bolt spring problem is even more pronounced in the Italian repro percussion revolvers. Can't speak about their Peacemaker clones because I never have had one.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I don't know why some one would do that because the bolt- sear spring is cheap and available. It's good to have some spares on hand.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After cleaning we took one of the guns with the broken springs out by the well house and me and my 10 yr old put 450 rounds of trailboss reloads thru it. No problems at all but I will replace. It is a renickeled shooter made in 1908 and we had a blast. Some of the reasons I like these old redone guns is because they can be had at a “reasonable” price, no worries if me or him dings it up, and we are still shooting a real colt and an old one at that. We just have more fun shooting the old ones than the new ones and the 1st Gens and USFA guns fit his hands better. Fit mine better as well

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts