Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched, but didn\'t find any info for shipping

Can someone break down the process of shipping a handgun through an FFL to me? I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for a planned future sale of a revolver and would also like to know how much to charge for shipping. Don't want anyone to think I'm trying to rip them off for shipping, I know that's everyone's (including mine) pet peeve.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Searched, but didn\'t find any info for shipping

If you don't have an FFL or the handgun is not in your state then you can't have the handgun shipped directly to you. It has to be sent to a FFL of your choice and you take possession from the dealer. Now after reading your thread it looks like you will be selling the gun and not receiving one so the buyer has to find a willing FFL for you to ship to. Beware some FFL holders refuse to accept shipments from anyone but another dealer requiring you to find a dealer willing to ship for you. Of course this adds extra expense that you decide how it will get paid. If you ship yourself then you would either need a copy of the buyer's FFL or the FFL's license so you can go to the BATFE's website and verify the license. Then for shipping charges you just contact the various carriers (UPS, FedEx, or USPS if a dealer ships for you) and they can quote you a rate. Package firearm without ammo in same package and off it goes to the buyer's FFL.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ah, thanks so much for the insight!

Quick clarification: I can ship from a local USPS office to an FFL, as long as the FFL who is to receive the package accepts this? If not, I find a local FFL (not hard to do) to ship from FFL to FFL.

If I can ship directly to a FFL, is there anything special I have to do when shipping from the USPS? Declare there's a firearm? I know insurance would be a must. Am I required to ship overnight?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
759 Posts

Only an FFL holder can ship via USPS. You would have to find a dealer in your area to ship the gun to the buyer's FFL holder. As an individual, you can ship via UPS or FedEx to an FFL holder, declaring the gun at time of shipment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Searched, but didn\'t find any info for shippin

Does it have to be overnight? Thanks for your input.

EDIT: Did some searching, looks like handguns must be shipped FFL to FFL. Period.

What's an average price for an FFL to ship a handgun, then?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

The common carriers' regulations require that an individual ship overnight. Handguns can be shipped individual to FFL as stated earlier, just not via USPS.
Here is a previous post that may not clear things up as there seems to be much misinterpretation of the regs as is often the case with legalese.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat...=true#Post21654 HTH
Two afterthoughts. If FFL to FFL makes you more comfortable, that is the way to go for you although it adds some expense which you want to factor into the offering. For some additional assurance, if you are going to ship it yourself, look at the auction sites and see that some sellers clearly state that they are not dealers so must ship to an FFL and will include a copy of their DL. As stated previously, some FFLs do not like to receive from individuals and you will see that also cautioned in some sellers disclaimer.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I've shipped several thru the years and being a non-FFL means the USPS won't touch a handgun for you. Both UPS and FedEx require a handgun to ship overnite. FedEx will accept from an individual but only send to a FFL. My FFL is a UPS store too, so that is how they send, FFL to FFL. i don't know if UPS will send for an individual, but there are several dealers out there that won't accept from a private party. i send the ones that will a copy of my ID so they have it for their records. Try 2nd day air saver with UPS, half the money of overnite and still flies by my dealers rules.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

OK, so an individual can ship. Phew, this is as clear as mud... lol. Thanks again folks!

BTW, what's a "fair price" in your mind for shipping, just so I can have it in my mind?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Don't know if UPS and Fedex raised rates lately, but overnight with insurance, depending on point to point can run $25 to $35. The UPS website lets you figure charges for weights, services and paths, etc. Probably Fedex does too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks! Alright, I feel pretty secure in the info I've gotten. You folks are great!

·
Registered
15 Posts

also, be aware that the level of training across each Fedex/UPS store varies. alot of clerks are unaware of the correct policies so some may give you a hard time when they shouldn't. bring your cell phone and call the 800 number to the corporate office for clarification if a clerk gives you a hard time.

also be aware that you can only ship firearms from a fedex/ups distribution center. UPS Stores, Mailboxes Etc(that ship UPS/Fedex) and other privately owned contract shops are not allowed to ship firearms.

in my area, fedex requires the firing pin to be removed for them to ship it so i use UPS. the guy at the UPS distribution center doesn't even flinch when i declare my package as a firearm and just processes it like any other package(well, he has to send it next day air per UPS policy). you can choose next day air saver which is the slowest and cheapest next day air solution.

but again, your mileage may vary...i see more complaints(re: sending firearms) on the net re: UPS than i see with fedex...but in my area, UPS is better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts