Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a colt saa chambered in 45 colt. It is custom engraved full coverage not just partial like I have seen on most engraved saa pistols. The engraving is not typical scroll work, it is oak leaves and acorns. There are no markings on the gun as far as a hint to the engraver. The grips are custom ivory and i have not seen any grips like these before. The grips have the initials JLO engraved into a side shield. I called colt and found out that this pistol left the factory as a 38-40 and is now a 45 colt. Any information as far as maybe who engraved it or whose it could be or who made the grips would be greatly appreciated.
00000028.JPG 00000022.JPG 00000031.JPG 00000004.JPG 00000005.JPG

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Must have belonged to Jennifer Lopez "J-LO" since it is initialed that way. Sorry........couldn't help myself. Looks to have some cattle brands on the left stock including the XIT Ranch.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Oak leaf/acorn patterns are generally European style patterns.

Gun engraving is only 'signed' a small percentage of the time. But one can't say it isn't w/o a 10 power glass inspection of every nook and cranny on the gun.

For the grips, google JLO engraving.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Must have belonged to Jennifer Lopez "J-LO" since it is initialed that way. Sorry........couldn't help myself. Looks to have some cattle brands on the left stock including the XIT Ranch.
I don't think you're right about J-LO. The gun's butt isn't big enough. This is yet another beautiful folk art style personalized Colt done very well with lots of imagination that always show up here for us to drool over. This forum gives them a chance to be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,196 Posts
It is an interesting gun, but the caliber change and the Oak Leaf pattern are not pluses for the gun. The grips do not have the pleasing shape (at bottom) that would be typical of most well known grip makers. I suspect the grips were done by someone other than the engraver.
Regarding Wyatt Burp's J-Lo comment, the grips are rather large in the butt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the back of the grips there's a letter "N" in green ink. The gun has been looked over multiple times for initials in the engraving under high powered magnification and nothing. The XIT we found out that information. I had a certified gunsmith look the gun over and he cant find any flaws in the engraving and is guessing that it took around 300 hours of time to complete. Here's a close up of the engraving and the initials in the grips.
00000033.JPG 00000034.JPG 00000035.JPG

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
On the back of the grips there's a letter "N" in green ink. The gun has been looked over multiple times for initials in the engraving under high powered magnification and nothing. The XIT we found out that information. I had a certified gunsmith look the gun over and he cant find any flaws in the engraving and is guessing that it took around 300 hours of time to complete. Here's a close up of the engraving and the initials in the grips.
View attachment 293682 View attachment 293666 View attachment 293674
The XIT brand came from the description of the size of the ranch,it covered 10 counties In Texas,the X standing for 10 the I for In & the T for Tx. It's one of the most commonly used brands on guns.The brand on the top left of the grip is "the flying A" & on the bottom is "the pitchfork"ranch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts