Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this image in a random image search on Google. It says the owner was Sebastian "Bass" Outlaw.
Interesting old modifications. I wonder if the trigger was removed for fanning only or if the trigger was just broken off.
The little knob in place of the base pin screw is interesting. I had a Cimmaron Sheriffs model that had the same thing. Thought it was cool. This is the first time I've seen it on an old gun though. I also think the extra long base pin is interesting. Assume it was for poking out the shells. The grip frame looks long as well. 1860 Army grip frame? Or 1872 open top perhaps?
I really like this gun...looks like it has seen a lot of action.

BassOutlawColt.jpg

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
It has seen a lot of action. Ex Texas Ranger Bass Outlaw shot a TR in El Paso in the head with it then a deputy ran up and got shot, too. Butt he shot Outlaw who died soon after. Later after that the guy who shot Outlaw shot John Wesley Hardin. Then another lawman later shot him. Then that guy was shot off his horse later with a 30-40 winchester and died because the doctor didn't know he had a heart condition and gave him the wrong medicine. Outlaw was a Texas Ranger who was not a pleasant person when he drank so he got fired because he' rather drink than not. I've see an exact duplicate of this gun made. The Cimarron I had had a cylinder pin screw similiar to this to comply with the safety standards for a SA. Using the screw you could quickly unscrew it with your fingers and then push the cylinder pin in a little where it kept the firing pin away from the cartridge. I replaced mine with a normal one but this bass Outlaw might have likes it for quick removal of the cylinder. I believe his gun here had no trigger and he slip gunned the hammer or perhaps fanned it.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent. I did a little google search and found some of that history as well. Selman was the guy that he shot. Then of course Selman shot Hardin, then Selman himself was killed.
Wouldn't I love to have a gun with that kind of history attached to it.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I would also feel sure Bass had the Trigger Bow removed intentionally...even as the Cylinder Pin is special and deliberate ( and would have served for poking out Shells ).

Cool SAA!!

I wonder where it is on display at?

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Heres a link to some of the other guns. Theres a link to the "Frazier Museum" at the top. But on that website there is no mention of the gun display so I dont know if that is where it is. The Frazier museum is in Louisville Kentucky

Guns

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Heres a link to some of the other guns. Theres a link to the "Frazier Museum" at the top. But on that website there is no mention of the gun display so I dont know if that is where it is. The Frazier museum is in Louisville Kentucky

Guns
Thats certainly a museum I'd really like to see. Long drive from Seattle though. Thanks for posting the photos.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
That is possibly a "Slip Gun" a type used often by John Newman. Mr. Newman was written about by Elmer Keith in Sixguns. He was reportedly very fast & accurate with them.
Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts