Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any second gen guns come with walnut grips from the factory? I’m looking at one and it’s a 1966 and it comes with walnut. There is a bill of receipt that says it’s factory optioned though I thought all colt SAA’s by this time had plastic/rubber grips.

Could one option the walnut? And is the walnut sought after or do most prefer the black grips? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Nickel plated SAAs did and occasionally blued/case colored, too. a member here has a 7 1/2” .44 Special blued with wood grips that letter to it. All these did not have ugly medallions.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Don Wilkersons book on the Second Generation SAA shows less than 30 of the 44 Specials shipped with Walnut grips.

Craig

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
In the 2nd generation years, plain wood stocks were the standard for nickel plated SAA's. They also could be ordered for blue and case colored guns.
- Bruce in Ohio

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, walnut grips were an option for 2nd generation guns. The early walnut grips will have routed backs. I believe 1966 should have this feature. I believe the solid backed walnut grips started later. Colt used the walnut grips intermittently during the 2nd generation. These grips could be special ordered with these guns or, sometimes, the Factory just decided to use these grip instead of the rubber. If the grips were special ordered with the gun a letter will state as such but if the grips were installed at the Factory instead of the rubber the letter will show none specified. This could make it almost impossible to determine if the grips were Factory installed. All Factory walnut grips should show the last three or four digits of the serial number in white grease pencil on the back side. But, these markings were not always very oil resistant and could be very light or almost non-existent. The special order grips will have medallions while the intermittently installed alternate walnut grips will generally not. Colt was a commodity producer of consumer goods at this time and used what was available to build these guns. Never say Never.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. So in everyone’s opinion are the wood grips as desirable as the rubber? I like the look of both I guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and the vintage is 1966, which I would think would be a great year for production. No stagecoach box, but a letter from Colt and an original bill of receipt that shows it did come with factory walnuts and the payments the gentleman made on it. Kinda neat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts