Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my latest acquisition to the range and shot 24 rounds through the SAA. Half of them at 7 yards, the other half at 10 yards. Someone suggested the front sight had been replaced; the gun shoots consistently low with factory ammo so to me it appears the front sight is a tad bit high.

The gun shot well, I had one sticky chamber that didn't want to give up the empty casing as easy as the other 5 other then that I like it!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
were you using 125 grain bullets? If so,try 158 grain,that should bring the group up some. You could always( carefully) file the front sight down a bit if it still shoots too low. Were you holding dead on the fluorescent orange bullseye?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
For your post (photo) to be really meaningful, you should record the ammunition data, whether factory or handload, and bullet weight. If a handload, record powder and charge weight.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob - the ammo that I used was all factory:

12 Rounds of Magtech 158 grain JSP
06 Rounds of Blazer 158 grain JHP
06 Rounds of Remington 125 grain Brass JHP

My next course of action will be to take it to the range with factory ammo, some sort of rest, and a very slow cutting/moving file. Obviously the key will be consistent shooting and slowly removing a little bit at a time, maybe 2 strokes of the file each time.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I would assume the 6 rounds with 125 grain bullets were the 5 in the blue and the lowest one in the orange. Is that right?

You might want to decide where you want the group to hit at what particular distance.. Do you want it to hit dead on at 25 yards,or 50 yards or, do you want it to hit dead on at 7 yards?

I assume that because all were low, that you were aiming at the center of the bullseye.

Maybe you want to try it at say 25 yards. Could be that the 125 grain loads will be hitting closer to POA at that range,and maybe the 158 grain loads will be closer to what you want.

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
I like my fixed sighted handguns to shoot in the middle of the black with a six-o'clock hold at 25 yards. If they do that then are about point of aim at 10 yards or less. You probably wont notice 2 passes with the file, more like 10 but you have the right idea to go slow. I have done several and then touched them up with cold blue. If it were my gun, I would used 38 special ammo with 158 SWC ammo and 850-900 FPS as I shoot so much of it and then the .357 will also shoot pretty close with the same bullet weight. Just wondering if after cleaning the one chamber of the cylinder that sticks if your issue went away.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I have a Colt 1911 (my one and only) WWI 01918 model that I bought New from Colt.
It shoots real low.I want it to hit close to POA at around 25 yards. I don't reload for the 45 auto so i only use factory loads and they are 230 grain usually. I tried several brands but results are about the same.

I figured I would file down the rounded front sight. But, I keep putting it off cause I hate to mess with the NEW gun that way.

I took some of the special "paint" Its more like a colored silicon type paint that you can peel off anytime.
I used the red/orange color. Then I took an exacto blade and trimmed off down to where it hits where I want it. Now I can file down to that level and it should be good.

BUT, I still havent done it yet.

You might want to find the level by using the paint first. Just a thought

1 - 8 of 8 Posts