Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to buy a Colt SAA in 97% condition with box for $2500 but let it go because I had to idea of value. It was .45LC with 5.5 inch barrel .The frame was casehardened with the rest of the revolver blued manufactured in 1957. I have not stopped thinking about it since, please tell if I should have bought It for that money. Thanks for any comments you have.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Let me ask you this: Was it worth $2500 to you?

Could you afford it, without taking something away from family of your comforts? How bad do/did you want it?

If you can afford it, and it pleases you, that's the bottom line.

Bob Wright

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
Hi DL. I'm a 3rd gen collector, so I'm not the authority on the 2nd's, but I don't think you missed out on the deal of a lifetime at all, and that configuration will turn up again. When you feel like you're ready to buy we can help you find what you're looking for. As soon as another purty Colt catches your eye, that one will be long forgotten.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
DL,

I agree with the above, it was no bargain. If you want a collector version you should hold out for one in that condition but w/original box.

Is it the barrel length you wanted? The 5 1/2" is all that was available in 1957, so if you want a short barrel, wait for a 1958 vintage. The pre 1959 era is the sweet spot for 2nd gens, the early period: square top hammers, fixed firing pin, 1st gen left over loading gates of full width, non-eagle grips, etc. You'll find something better. In the meantime, check on sales prices of completed auctions on Gunbroker and you'll be armed with the knowledge you need next time to pull the trigger or not on the next one that comes along.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I buy Colts 1st &2 gen. To me it is about a $1600 TOPS pistol and $1,200 to $1400 is probably "Reasonable" for it. At $2,500 you can still buy a "NICE" 1st gen Colt SA. Ronin

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
The price might be a bit high. However, if the box is original to the gun (the serial number will be on the bottom of the box) and has the original papers I might be tempted. How many of these have you seen lately? These early Black Box guns are very nicely fitted and finished Post-War SAAs. As always, JMHO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts