Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago, I read an article about an interesting Cavalry Colt that was found in the rafters of an old barracks building when it was being torn down. As I recall, the article was in a 1980s or 1990s copy of Man at Arms Magazine. I’ve looked but haven't been able to locate this information again.

The article describes how a soldier apparently hid his Colt Cavalry revolver in the rafters of his barracks building before he deserted sometime during the late 1800s. Many years later, the gun was discovered when the building was being torn down. (I think this happened at Fort Huachuca, AZ, but aren’t 100 percent sure.) The article described the events leading up to this discovery, and has several photos of the gun.

I’m hoping that another forum member may recall this article and post a copy here. Thanks!

Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I read it too...but I thought it was in a book. The ex-soldier of the 1880s visited his old barracks in the 1920s before they were scheduled to tear them down. He looked in the rafters of the building he thought was his barracks for his Colt that he hid there but couldnt find it. Then decided to go to the next barracks, where he found it right where he hid it. I'll check my books when I get back home later in the week.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The grandson (I think he was the grandson) of the soldier wrote the article for "The American Rifleman". The soldier had wrapped the revolver in an oily rag and hid it in the rafters of his barracks the day before the troops were to exchange their .45s for .38s. Turns out another soldier deserted that night and the "missing" SAA was attributed to theft by the deserter. The soldier (the one who hid the gun that is) eventually left the service (and also left the gun in the rafters), but many years later, like 20 or so, he was a small time contractor who won the bid to paint the barracks at his old fort. While painting away one day he suddenly remembered the hidden Colt and went to retrieve it (after he remembered which building it was in) while the troops were at lunch. It was still there in the rafters. The author of the article had a photo of his grandfather posing in uniform with his holstered Colt and a trapdoor Springfield. Maybe this info also popped up in some other publication, but I do remember the Rifleman article.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Several years ago, I read an article about an interesting Cavalry Colt that was found in the rafters of an old barracks building when it was being torn down. As I recall, the article was in a 1980s or 1990s copy of Man at Arms Magazine. I’ve looked but haven't been able to locate this information again.

The article describes how a soldier apparently hid his Colt Cavalry revolver in the rafters of his barracks building before he deserted sometime during the late 1800s. Many years later, the gun was discovered when the building was being torn down. (I think this happened at Fort Huachuca, AZ, but aren’t 100 percent sure.) The article described the events leading up to this discovery, and has several photos of the gun.

I’m hoping that another forum member may recall this article and post a copy here. Thanks!

Rusty Edwards
I definitely recall reading that interesting article. The trooper's surname was Rasmussen. He had a low opinion of Wyatt Earp while stationed in AZ. Much later, in the Philippines, Rasmussen told of using that 45 x 7-1/2" Colt to bring down a drug-crazed Moro, after others shot him repeatedly with the 38 Colt DA's. Shortly before being mustered out at Fort Riley, KS, Rasmussen wrapped his old Colt in a greasy rag and stuck it in the rafters of his barracks. To his surprise, many years later Rasmussen found his old Colt friend still hidden in that building. It had acquired some rust spots, but was still fairly well preserved (considering the wild swings in temperature in an un-aircondioned building). I want to think the article was in the American Rifleman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts