Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
greeting seeking other owners of FHP .357 Magnums , i have one with a 3 digit number stamped on all the main parts ( this is not the butt number ), wish to compare note with other magnum owners , many thank srj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The "FHP" model is a Nickle Old Model Trooper with the only 5" bbl. Colt ever used on this model. Mine was built is 1966 and i bought it this summer. I'd read about them and saw a Sarco ad years ago for extra nickle 5" nickle Trooper bbls. in .357 magnum. Spotted right off the bat in a gun shop this past July,with the 5" bbl. standing out! It was wearing Pach rubbers,but dealer let me take them off to "check for nickle wear" under them. Yup,there was the FHP butt markings! Had a set of old model trooper targets to make it correct. Gun shows some carry wear & is probably 95%. Nice tight action,but needed a little work on its hand. The sights are NICKLE! This is the only thing I dislike,as its hard to get an accurate sight picture on a sunny day! Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Finally got top notch accuracy from my FHP today. Found that the "target" style issue grips(I added them to my gun as it came with "rubbers")seem to handle better for my ergonomics than service stocks with a Tylers T grip,that some FHP troopers preferred, Mild load,in .357 cases of 5 gr. Red Dot for about 800 fps and business load of 10 grs. Blue Dot for just under 1200 fps(duplicates the old 38/44 hi speed load). 158 gr hard cast SWC sized .358 used in both. BOTH shot under 2 " at 25 yards. AM here in Maine was slightly cloudy,so NO glaring sun to reflect off the nickled sights! Handling was excellent;DA & SA pulls light & smooth & crisp after a polishing job and a new fitted hand. Not bad for a nearly 40 year old Colt that saw a lot of carry time,and use. Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Had to correct the fps. of the loads I gave in the above post!! 5 grs. Red Dot ran about 1l00 fps. and the 10 grs. Blue Dot ran about 1300+fps. Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts