Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeking owners of 1950\'s colt two-tone revolvers

goos evening , looking to talk to fellow owners of two-tone colts from the 1950's , as i require information to correct some possible mis-matched parts , thank-you rj

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: seeking owners of 1950\'s colt two-tone revolvers

I have one of the very early "357" with the 2 tone finish.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

good afternoon , i require if possible a picture of the hammer as my hammer has been replaced with an after-market and require to know the correct blueing/ parkerizing color , please advise rj

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts

Python hammers always had polished sides, (usually a little more polished than standard Colt's) and bright, polished blue edges.

MOST, if not all post-WWII Colt hammers had
polished sides, and flat black edges.

The Pythons sides were brighter polished, and the edges had the same near-mirror polished finish as the rest of the gun.

Note that it's not at all uncommon to have older Colt revolvers with "service" type hammers replaced with target hammers from the Python.

The "give-away" is the mirror-bright polished bluing on the edges.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts

On two tones, the sides of the hammer are polished bright, (not mirror bright) and the "edges" are flat black.

This flat black is standard gun bluing, not parkerizing.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

good afternoon , i apologize for not knowing this but does this finish differ far from current Python production hammers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
rj I have a 57 2 tone serial #40** with a 6" nickel barrel, nickel cylinder, rounded polished trigger and blue cyl. release. I'm also interested in finding out more about these models

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
good afternoon , i apologize for not knowing this but does this finish differ far from current Python production hammers,
rj, You are asking about dual tone finished revolvers and then the Python which was not done in dual tone as dual tone ended after 1954 and the Python began in 1955. Dual tone revolver hammers were done the same as Colt revolver hammers had been done for some time. Here is a pretty good picture of a non-Python target hammer. It is not original to the gun, but it is an original finish target hammer.

The Python hammers are essentially the same except for a higher polish ala royal blue as stated by dfariswheel. HTH :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts