Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
man, that is in extremely good condition to not have been refinished......I will wait for the experts to chime in.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
I'm not a member of that forum so it won't let me see!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Based on the over polished grip frame and receiver, that gun has been refinished. In my area that gun is overpriced by about $13,000.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
That's what's mentioned at the bottom of the letter.

Bet someone had to put on a new wheel, after this got buffed...

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Here I was expecting a nice 7-1/2" nickled single action with 1 piece walnut grips and fireblued screws and trigger and then.....

OUCH!

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Add me to those who think it's refinished.
And cut and re-sighted and re-gripped.........about the only thing original about that one is the base metal.....that is, what's left of the base metal!

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Moderator said that the guy told him the gun was original and so he deleted my post. So they frown upon selling ammo at inflated prices but it's okay to misrepresent an old Colt and con somebody out of fifteen thousand???

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Something about a fool and his money being soon separated comes to mind.......

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Now he says that three gun shops and a Colt collector verified that the gun is original and worth $22,000. Wonders never cease. I have a really hard time believing somebody would pay $22,000 for a Colt that is so obviously not original.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello,

I am one of the people speaking with the seller. I found this thread by searching Google and was looking for more info on how to tell it has been refinished and other items.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Firstly, a nickel gun would have to be perfectly stored and never used to be in that condition at that age. A telltale sign of a refinish, and a poorly done one at that, are the seams between the grip frame halves and receiver. Those parts would've been originally polished as an assembly so that the surfaces remain true. The rolled-over edges on those parts, where they meet, suggests that they were polished separately and with a careless hand at the buffing wheel. That's a dead ringer and you have to look no further. Another clue are the dished out screw holes and bolt notches. Those surfaces should be completely flat, right up to the hole. They are not, they're sunken in, another dead ringer that it was poorly refinished. There's a lot of unevenness in the finish, especially on the cylinder and grip frame that would not be there if the gun were as advertised.

Other clues:
It has the wrong ejector. It has a later crescent when it should have the early bullseye ejector.

There's something wrong with the basepin, it's either been replaced or modified. The pictures don't show enough detail.

The grips are from a much later period. That gun would've shipped with one-piece walnut.

The front sight is the wrong shape.

There are no markings on the barrel.

As indicated elsewhere in this thread, the "not listed" under barrel length usually indicates a 7½".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.