Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. The windage adjustmate on my match target has for some reason only known to itself stopped detenting. This causes it to self adjust during firing. Most annoying! Can anyone guide me to possible fixes for this problem or are there alternatives to the Ellison sights for the MT?

Thanks for the help.
Cecil

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't recall that sight specifically, but generally the detent system operates by a free ball in front of a spring. This means that when you remove the screw, the ball sometimes goes flying. Disassembly is best done inside a platic bag. The reason for such a system.s not working can vary. Often only a cleaning is needed. Sometimes the spring is broken or weak. Occasionally the ball may be missing (see above). Others can probably tell you where to get parts, but I would try the local gunsmith first, gunparts (Numrich Arms) second, and posting here third.

Start with careful disassembly.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
If you have a true Eliason and they are marked as such, the elevation screw should detent on a small pin in the center. My guess is that your detend pin has gone missing. This sight is somewhat different but interchangable with the Colt Acro rear which has two versions. The last of which has a elevation screw which is held in place by a horizontal pin. The screw itself contains two detent balls and a spring in between that fit in a drilled hole running side to side through the elevator. These are a bloody bitch to put back together. The earliest Colt acro has a single ball detent captured in the base portion and the screw is removable as is the Eliason screw.

If you see that detent is gone out of your eliason then you have no choice but to buy another eliason body. The other thing to look for is the springs which keep pressure on it from underneath. On the Eliason and second model Acro there are two springs. 1st model acro only one. If the springs are gone or have moved out of their respective slots then merely replace them or you may have to buy new ones. A tiny bit of clear fingernail laquer on the very end of the sight will allow then to stay in the sight while you reinstall the sight onto the slide. If you are missing any parts Gun Parts Corp (Numrich) does have the exact original parts you need. They may even have a schematic that you can look at to see how it goes together. If they don't have one for your pistol then the Gold Cup uses the same rear and they may have that. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ghost. I don't have a problem with the elevation adjustment, it's the windage that's giving me trouble. It MAY be that the spring has gone bad and is not pushing the adjusting screw hard onto the detent. I see that there appears to be a pin head nut on the LH side of the sight that holds the screw, but I've not figured a way to hold it while unscrewing the windage screw. I guess I'll have to take the gun to my local gun-plumber and see if he can help. If all else fails, I guess Numrich has replacement sights for about $75.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Cecil

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Flintsghost,

Any relation to Louis LaMour's "Flint"? ... One of my Favorites! :) I even have one of those .36 Navy conversions he had in the safe! Bob Best

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,
Well it looks like I got the problem fixed. I looked really close at the detent for the windage screw. The screw head is scolloped and rides on a detent pin in the sight body. I found that the pin goes all the way through the sight body and that I could drive it out and rebend the end of the pin to go back into the scollops in the screw. Sight fixed, cost zero. Thanks for all the help.
Cecil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts