Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My very first gun at the tender age of 20 was a S&W 422. The head of the local bureau of arms recommended it for a beginner. I never warmed up to it, and I traded it for a S&W 66 six months later; it didn’t look like the pistols in the movies, was not pretty, didn’t have an external hammer, and shooting .22s was unimpressive for the young guy looking for a thrill.

Three weeks after buying the 422, I bought a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum, talk about a giant leap. At first I adored this gun, the size, weight, look, technology, reputation, and the power... It was pricey at $ 1100 in 1989

However the honeymoon did not last very long. It jammed at least once per magazine, and that’s seven rounds if I recall correctly. I tried every commercial load I could find, no difference. Then I started reloading, all kind of bullet weights, shapes, powder charges. I came to the conclusion that rimmed revolver cartridges were not suited to semi automatic pistols. Then the slide broke where the gas piston pushes on it. Another $ 300 down the drain. I got rid of it after six years of frustration. A tyre seller I knew traded me for 4 rims and winter tyres for my Audi S2 Quattro. I gave him full disclosure but he said he didn’t care, he bought it mostly to fondle it.

However the desire for a powerful semi auto was still there, and in 1997 an LGS sold me this like new LAR Grizzly Mark I in .45 Winchester Magnum with a 6.5’ barrel. This gun has been very reliable and is accurate. I’ve shot it regularly throughout the years.

5 years ago I acquired one of my graal pistol : a 44 AutoMag. It’s a TDE model 180 made in North Hollywood. I believe it was made in 1971, however I am not certain. When I was young I saw a good number or Automags at gun shows, in fact I was told of a Swiss gun collector who had every model imaginable. However typical price was $ 4-5000. I bought this one for $ 2100 at an auction. It is not in pristine condition hence the price.

A word of caution

Markings are quite faint. I suspect the box foam disintegrated, a well known problem, and the previous owner got a bit heavy handed with the cleaning and scrubbing

They are both very accurate pistols. The problem is not to flinch, especially after the first shot. 25 meters.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I too love the magnum autos. I love the big boom and the fireball. I remember taking my Desert Eagle 44 to the range and everyone said "Hey is that the 50AE?". So sure enough, I had to get a 50 (and later a 357) to enjoy too.

Here are a few of my big bores. Love your early Auto Mag. I have one too. One of the most beautiful guns ever designed IMHO.

Magnums 090915.jpg

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too love the magnum autos. I love the big boom and the fireball. I remember taking my Desert Eagle 44 to the range and everyone said "Hey is that the 50AE?". So sure enough, I had to get a 50 (and later a 357) to enjoy too.

Here are a few of my big bores. Love your early Auto Mag. I have one too. One of the most beautiful guns ever designed IMHO.

View attachment 690769
Great pic and guns, thanks for sharing

I refrained from buying a .50 DE so far, not sure I need another one shooting 2$/rd, or buy more reloading dies and shell plate.

LGS had a contest recently for their 25th anniversary : 1st client showing up the morning of the anniversary could pick up any Desert Eagle form their stock at half price. Sadly they published on FB at midnight and I only saw it in the morning, too late. The winner showed up 2 hours before opening hours.

There is currently a Wildey for sale here at $ 2700, what does AD 2003 or 2006 mean ?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Auto Mags are right up my alley.

How about this polished Pasadena frame with a 16" octagonal custom barrel by Kent Lomont chambered in 44 AMP, 1 of 2. It also has a Herringshaw 8 screw Maxi-Mount scope mount with 2X Leupold scope.
Absolutely beautiful. Are those grips real ivory ? Very classy

Don’t hesitate to post more, always a pleasure seeing them

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
When I lived in Michigan one of my friends knew I was "into" guns. He had a member of his church who was a gun collector (and not a shooter - all his guns were "NIB "unfired"). The gentleman was looking for prices/values of his guns so he could sell them and get a fair price for them. I believe someone here on Coltforums bought the NIB Magnum Carry he had for sale.

Two of the guns he had were original Coonans; a Model B and a Cadet. I told them what they were selling for on Gun Broker; and then offered him cash for both of them. He was happy and so was I! Although I sold the Model B (for almost what I paid for both of them) I still have and shoot the Cadet. Here are a couple of photos for you.

Model "B" and Cadet

Coonan Cadet

I haven't shot 200 rounds out of it yet; once I do that, according to the owner's manual, you can shoot .38 Special through it. I have one original magazine and one after-market magazine. A spacer, which I don't have, is needed to shoot .38 Special with the factory magazine but not needed with the after-market magazine.

Because of the weight of the guns .357 Magnum is a "gentle shooting round."

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about a 14" scoped Wildey chambered for the 475 Wildey cartridge. I think there are only about 7 of these ever made.

A lousy photo but that is all I have.
Great, but this piece deserves better pictures, take her out of the safe, let her see some light and snap away.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I lived in Michigan one of my friends knew I was "into" guns. He had a member of his church who was a gun collector (and not a shooter - all his guns were "NIB "unfired"). The gentleman was looking for prices/values of his guns so he could sell them and get a fair price for them. I believe someone here on Coltforums bought the NIB Magnum Carry he had for sale.

Two of the guns he had were original Coonans; a Model B and a Cadet. I told them what they were selling for on Gun Broker; and then offered him cash for both of them. He was happy and so was I! Although I sold the Model B (for almost what I paid for both of them) I still have and shoot the Cadet. Here are a couple of photos for you.

Model "B" and Cadet

Coonan Cadet

I haven't shot 200 rounds out of it yet; once I do that, according to the owner's manual, you can shoot .38 Special through it. I have one original magazine and one after-market magazine. A spacer, which I don't have, is needed to shoot .38 Special with the factory magazine but not needed with the after-market magazine.

Because of the weight of the guns .357 Magnum is a "gentle shooting round."
Very nice, but I wouldn’t have had the heart to separate these brothers.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Classic12 - somedays - Cash is King! The Cadet is (and I have) easier to conceal! I have very few guns that I haven't shot or carried. Being a responsible caretaker of my guns I use, but do not abuse them!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Great, but this piece deserves better pictures, take her out of the safe, let her see some light and snap away.
CLASSIC made me feel guilty so here it is again. While in the safe I found his older brother also. These were shipped in 1994 and the 4049 pistol was the 6th 14" at the time per a letter I have signed by Linda Moore, Wildey's wife and partner in the business. I had heard somewhere that only 7 were ever made.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Beemer!

I LOVE Auto Mags and finally realized my dream of buying one a few years ago. I now have two. One is a TDE in 44 AMP with a 6.5-inch vent rib barrel, and an accessory 8.5-inch non-rib barrel in 357 AMP. The second is a High Standard-marked 6.5-inch vent rib barrel in 357 AMP (made for HS by TDE).

They are so, SO much fun! My 357s are both dead reliable, while I have only had minor problems with the 44, possibly created by operator error. You have to hold it TIGHT to give it something to recoil against for the action to function. I had a rear sight adjustment screw break once on the long 357 barrel but fortunately it neatly deposited the sight components on the bench right in front of me, and I was able to get a replacement screw (plus a few spares).

The wood grips make a tremendous difference, greatly improving the shooting experience compared to the rather square factory plastic grips.

I highly recommend the Auto Mag!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts