Colt Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Back in the 1980s, I was in Lew Horton's retail store in Framingham, MA. He had for sale a matched set of 3 Auto Mags in 357 AMP, 41 AMP, and 44 AMP for a price of about $4,000. All in presentation cases with serial #33. If memory serves, Lee Jurras was involved in producing these sets. It was a magnificent looking set but at the time I thought of them as impractical. I had never even heard of the 41 AMP and couldn't imagine where I would find the ammo. So I passed on the set. I'm guessing they would have been a good investment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Back in the 1980s, I was in Lew Horton's retail store in Framingham, MA. He had for sale a matched set of 3 Auto Mags in 357 AMP, 41 AMP, and 44 AMP for a price of about $4,000. All in presentation cases with serial #33. If memory serves, Lee Jurras was involved in producing these sets. It was a magnificent looking set but at the time I thought of them as impractical. I had never even heard of the 41 AMP and couldn't imagine where I would find the ammo. So I passed on the set. I'm guessing they would have been a good investment.
357 and 41 AMP were always a Handloader’s proposition only, and while occasionally you might run across a set of 357 dies for sale, I haven’t ever seen 41 AMP dies for sale. They are long discontinued by RCBS (357 dies were available by custom order until 2018, and 44 are still available, although carbide dies are discontinued). Hornady still makes 44 AMP does but they are reportedly terrible quality.

Only 100 such three-gun sets were made, and most have been broken up and separated now. Recently a complete set came up for sale on Gunbroker. I believe the asking price was $25k or so.

So yes, it would have been a very good investment. Ah well....

·
Registered
432 Posts
357 and 41 AMP were always a Handloader’s proposition only, and while occasionally you might run across a set of 357 dies for sale, I haven’t ever seen 41 AMP dies for sale. They are long discontinued by RCBS (357 dies were available by custom order until 2018, and 44 are still available, although carbide dies are discontinued). Hornady still makes 44 AMP does but they are reportedly terrible quality.

Only 100 such three-gun sets were made, and most have been broken up and separated now. Recently a complete set came up for sale on Gunbroker. I believe the asking price was $25k or so.

So yes, it would have been a very good investment. Ah well....
Hi Mike

I have this three gun set for sale right now. There were only 35 of the Jurras 41 JMP's made and only about 12 or so of these sets exist today. This set is very nice. The serial numbers are all matching, LEJ-28.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858914510

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
CLASSIC made me feel guilty so here it is again. While in the safe I found his older brother also. These were shipped in 1994 and the 4049 pistol was the 6th 14" at the time per a letter I have signed by Linda Moore, Wildey's wife and partner in the business. I had heard somewhere that only 7 were ever made.

Impressive pair

·
Registered
11 Posts
Back in 1972 had a chance to buy new 44 AutoMag and 45 nickel Series 70 at Burns & Burns GS in downtown Dallas. I bought the 1911. Never much thought about it until today.
Well those Magnums are all awesome and now I want each calibre. I did not need to add to my bucket list, thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Back in 1972 had a chance to buy new 44 AutoMag and 45 nickel Series 70 at Burns & Burns GS in downtown Dallas. I bought the 1911. Never much thought about it until today.
Well those Magnums are all awesome and now I want each calibre. I did not need to add to my bucket list, thanks.
That 3 gun set above this is still for sale. I reiterate, they are a very, very nice set with matching serial numbers, 1 of 12 in the world. :eek:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Back when I was younger, I had a fascination with magnum semi-autos and at one point had a Desert Eagle (44 mag.), a L.A.R. Grizzly (45 Win. mag., with conversion kits for 357 mag., 10 mm, and 45 ACP), a Wildey (45 Win. mag.) and a Coonan (357 mag.). I shot them all frequently. My favorite -- and the only one I still own -- was the Grizzly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I ordered one at the 83 Dallas SHOT from LAR and it took a year. Was SN PP119, had a HC frame with blue slide which was the thing back then. Mine was a 45 Win and did not get the 9mm Win mag conversion kit which at the time did not want to buy.

Loved the pistol and it was accurate with my handloads as well. Problem was and is also the reason I do not try and buy it back from the guy I sold it to is the grip was just too big for me because of the size of the 45Win. Mine had a flush cut bbl, looked just like a regular 1911 on steroids.

Seeing your makes me miss mine!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts