Colt Forum banner

Sent SAA Off To Have Custom Grips, Need Some Advice.....

8K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  LeverActionBill 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I wanted to get some advice from you all on what you would do or how you would handle my situation. This could get long so bear with me...
After doing some research I chose Joe Perkins to do the work, so I emailed him on 10/15/14 about what I wanted. He sent me an invoice and how much it would cost. On his website he states it is an 8-9 week turn around and add a couple more for some special work so lets say 10-12 weeks, that's 3 months give or take a couple days so I am good with that. I guess....So,
10/16/14 I sent my gun to him and it was signed for by him on Saturday 10/18/14, so his website states that as soon as he has the gun it goes in the rotation, so I figured he put it in the rotation.
10/21/14 I sent him an email wanted to make sure he had it, mainly for email documentation.
10/26/14 He sends email and says, have the gun and the check. So now I let him alone to do his mastery.
12/15/14 I sent him an email at 7 weeks from 10/26/14, and asked how it was going and to let me know when he was ready to ship it back to me so I will know to be here when it arrives.
12/18/14 He emails back and says he always calls before shipping back, and it will be after Jan 1st. I was bummed but no big deal. yet.
1/18/15 I email and asked how it was going and was everything ok?
1/19/15 He sends email back and says all is good, you are paid in full. Well I knew that, I was basically asking him nicely how much longer, so I emailed him back same day and asked for a timeframe of completion. At this point it has been almost 12 weeks.
1/21/15 He sends email back and says should be finishing next week, I will call before shipping. So ok, I figure we got something definite here.
2/1/15 I emailed him back and asked if he tried to call, that I had a few out of state calls but no messages, I was really trying to be nice about the whole thing, I did have out of state calls, but I really wanted to know, Hey are you done with my gun yet? Lol,
2/2/15 He emails me back and says he always leaves a message and mine should be done this week.
So the week of 2/2/15 has come and gone. No phone call no email. It is now going on 17 weeks since he has had it and 16 weeks since he acknowledged having it. I know that he does great work, I have seen the photos, the testimonial, and read great reviews on other sites, so I know he does great work.
My question is to you good people is, am I being too impatient here? Should I just suck it up and wait for his reply and let the man finish? What really bothered me was that on another forum during the time he has had my gun, a guy said he sent his gun to Joe Perkins and got his back in 3 weeks sweet! I thought I was in the line up? Plus the fact that 2 weeks in a row he said mine should be done. So............
What would you do?

See less See more
#36 ·
I just had Nutmeg Sports fit my Gen 3 5.5 inch Colt SAA with one piece ivory stocks and tuned the action. He quoted me 2 weeks. I had no trouble getting him on the phone when I called to place the order. It showed up under the 2 week time frame that he quoted. They look great and the action is smooth as can be. I am very impressed. I went with Nutmeg Sports due to his reputation and pictures of past work that I have seen on this website and what he displayed on his site. I would recommend him to anyone. I took a few pictures but am not satisfied with them so I will keep working on it. The grain in the ivory is just beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.