Colt Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have received photographs from rbs and this is certainly a Colt Artillery Model revolver worthy of submission to John Kopec. I urge him to submit it and, if he does, please make the findings known on the forum. We Colt Cavalry and Artillery Model nerds get great delight out of John's letters. www.johnakopec.com
The serial number of the frame is just outside of the "prime" Custer range, it being 5710 and the "prime" range being 4500 to 5500. However, the backstrap falls within this range, it being 4994, and this being the backstrap, adds 5 to 10% over what the value would be if no "prime" Custer range components.
Pursuant to post #14, what we really need now is a picture of that 0004 barrel address. The o in "Co" is broken, but what about the A in "Hartford"? I suspect that it is also broken.
Pursuant to post #14, what we really need now is a picture of that 0004 barrel address. The o in "Co" is broken, but what about the A in "Hartford"? I suspect that it is also broken.
The "A" in "HARTFORD" portion of barrel address of this Artillery does appear to be slightly broken. I included photos barrel address although it may not have been good enough to show this break.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is John Kopec still doing letters? I think that I read a post on the Forum that he is injured and no longer doing so.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
IMG_8604.jpeg

And a photograph of the barrel address as provided by rbs. He admits the resolution isn't optimal and a better quality photograph may be forthcoming.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
And how! I approached the OP about selling it and he has decided to keep it for now. I think the Kopec letter on this one might be encouraging!

·
Registered
37 Posts
and here's mine. sn 141xx listed my sn in Cochran's book on SAA. it's a Virginal 'buyback' that went back to the factory, was cut to 5 1/2 and nickeled than to the civilian trade. listed in the shipping records as having been shipped in Nov 1874
IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
and here's mine. sn 141xx listed my sn in Cochran's book on SAA. it's a Virginal 'buyback' that went back to the factory, was cut to 5 1/2 and nickeled than to the civilian trade. listed in the shipping records as having been shipped in Nov 1874 View attachment 713993
View attachment 713991 View attachment 713992 View attachment 713993
and here's mine. sn 141xx listed my sn in Cochran's book on SAA. it's a Virginal 'buyback' that went back to the factory, was cut to 5 1/2 and nickeled than to the civilian trade. listed in the shipping records as having been shipped in Nov 1874 View attachment 713993
View attachment 713991 View attachment 713992 View attachment 713993
That is unusual too that a 5-1/2" Colt SAA was sold domestically this early. We know that the Brits ordered some early 5-1/2" SAA's, but the American market preferred the 7-1/2" barrels until about 1880.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the 'books' they all say that Virginia ordered 2000 guns from Colt to be paid by the US. they collected the guns, then immediately sold them for less than Colt could. Colt went nuts.
but by then the guns were sent to S H and G in NY, most had the barrels cut to 5 1/2 and reset to factory perfect. many were nickel plated as mine was, to differentiate the from the Gov models
they all had the US stamp and all the inspectors stamps. Mine has them all including the small A on the bottom of the grips. nice little piece of history.
Ken

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is John Kopec still doing letters? I think that I read a post on the Forum that he is injured and no longer doing so.
John is back up and running.
Call him to make an appointment.
I'm 12 away from sending in mine.
U have a very NICE Pistol!
Congrats to you!
Johns number is
530-222-4440
Until 6pm CA. Time

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts