Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would the serial numbers be located on a 1923 Colt SAA? I sold a 1923 colt saa and the buyer is saying that it isn’t matching. Last I remember it was matching and for sure had a matching serial number on the cylinder. I told him I would check into it and get back to him. He mentioned the loading gate was not matching but I know this shouldn’t because it’s an assembly number. He also said the trigger guard and backstrap were not numbered at all. Would this be correct for a Colt SAA of this era? Last I recall they did have numbers there but I have to take his word that there aren’t because I don’t have the gun in front of me.

·
Premium Member
20,522 Posts
Like Tony said! The serial numbers were moved to under the grips in about 1920. The last 2 or 3 digits of the serial number should be on the rear of the cylinder between two of the cylinders near an edge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there should be two numbers on the flat side of the trigger guard under the grips on this Colt? What about the backstrap?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
If you refer to Cochran's book, Volume 1, page 359, there is a photograph of the right side of a SAA revolver dating from 1923, and it shows serial numbers located on the right side of the backstrap and trigger guard, under the grips. With regards to the cylinder, by 1921 the last 3 digits of the serial number were stamped on the face of the cylinder, this being reduced to the last 2 digits by 1924.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
So there should be two numbers on the flat side of the trigger guard under the grips on this Colt? What about the backstrap?
Welcome to the forum.

No, one # on TG strap. If on side of TG strap, will be on side of back strap as well.

No, grips straps are both stamped. Either both on left side 1920 - 1922, or both on right side 1923 - 1940.

Tell buyer to remove right side grip and look for matching loading gate assembly # on back of frame.

1st gen Cylinders after ~1912 are on the end, not the side, and are sporadic: some cyls just don't have them on front or back end.

But since you know the cyl is stamped, tell buyer not to look for numbers w/o magnifying glass and bright light!

If he still can't find them, ask for good clear close up photos.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'm sure this is going to turn out OK but might it be wise to take multiple photographs before sending a valuable gun? There are doubtless one or two unscrupulous individuals out there - not suggesting this buyer is one.

Rio

·
Registered
546 Posts
It seems strange to me that the previous owner and the new buyer were both unaware of where the serial numbers were located on this revolver. Apparently neither one ever had the grips off of it! The first thing I do, and probably most buyers do too, after acquiring a new gun is take the damn thing apart and check it out to see that all is correct and present.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The first thing I do, and probably most buyers do too, after acquiring a new gun is take the damn thing apart and check it out to see that all is correct and present.
We are the minority, and I would venture to say that at least 60% of gun buyers don't disassemble a newly purchased gun and make sure all the parts are to factory spec.

Reactions: lounick

·
Registered
316 Posts
Colt, Welcome to the Forum. Maybe you could get the buyer to sign on to the Colt Forum and show some pics of the gun in question. Might be a good idea for them to get some hints on removing the grips so there isn't any damage caused and then questions and answers can be done first person. Two more members would be a good thing too.
I hope you did a bit of fact finding before you sold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts