Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I was given my fathers service revolver when he passed. It is a Detective Special and according to the Colt website look up, from 1966. The story behind this firearm: my father was a Chief Warrant Officer in the US Army. I believe he was issued this revolver in 1966 or 1967 while stationed in Japan. He retired in 1973 from the Army and then used is as his side arm as an Special Agent in the N.A.T.B. My question is this: there is a "Z" stamped below the serial number. Does anyone know what this means?" i cant find anything on it. I will include a pic here if i can.

thanks in advance.

Bill

IMG_1182.JPG

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Normally a number or letter stamped there is either an assembler or inspector mark. But the "Z" means...I think from other discussions here...that the revolver has been returned to Colt for repair or is a reject for some reason and to identify it as not being eligible for warranty service. Maybe someone else can clarify that.

If this revolver was military property it could have been part of the contract with Colt to decline warranty to get a cheaper price and was marked with the "Z" to designate no warranty. I think it might be a good idea to get an archives letter...it probably won't have contract information but will show where it was sent from the factory.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,622 Posts
The "Z" stamp was used by Colt to indicate revolvers that were, for some reason returned to Colt and refurbished then sold.
This was apparently mostly used on guns that were used as sales samples.

However, the "Z" stamp was NOT under the serial number, it was stamped on the right side of the frame just behind and above the trigger guard were it was visible, and the stamp is fairly large.
This stamp is usually seen only on late 70's and later guns.
I've never seen it on a 60's model.

In any case, the stamp under the serial number is always an inspectors stamp, apparently the assemblers stamp.

Do a search for "Z stamp" and you'll find some pictures of Colt Pythons with the large "Z" stamp on the right side of the frame.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If this revolver was military property it could have been part of the contract with Colt to decline warranty to get a cheaper price and was marked with the "Z" to designate no warranty.
Can you share the source for this information?

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Have no source...just that it's possible to get a cheaper price is a warranty is declined. I know of some businesses have operated that way on occasion. During wartime the government will sometimes relax some standards to get quicker production such as ammunition specs. They'll give up some accuracy standards to speed quantity.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Have no source...just that it's possible to get a cheaper price is a warranty is declined. I know of some businesses have operated that way on occasion. During wartime the government will sometimes relax some standards to get quicker production such as ammunition specs. They'll give up some accuracy standards to speed quantity.

If we are just gonna make stuff up then I think Z = Zoot Suit - only to be sold to guys that wear zoot suits and twirl gold chains . :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts