Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,838 Posts
If it is a factory error, I would think it might add a little to the value. I made a similar comment on a Forum Thread a couple days ago about a SAA with a 'backward address line' on the barrel, and a member countered that such errors do not add to the value. I really think it all depends on how good of a salesman you are.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
One thing I have noticed on one of my SAA is that the serial number is stamped correctly, but the Font with Serifs appear to be a little different. I had to use a magnifying glass to see this and most folks would never notice the slight difference. Did Colt serial number the Frame and Trigger Guard at the same time???

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
MANY YEARS AGO, I was just a lad, I saw a COLT SAA on which the serial number was three consecutive numbers. There they were all in a row sorta like [ theses are NOT that actual numbers ] 250910, 250911, and 250912. The fellow who had it never really understood me when I said ' I don't think it should be like that, Jim.' It was just one of his shootin' guns.

·
Premium Member
21,838 Posts
Abwehr, from your previous posts I know you have considerable knowledge about these guns. When I see a SAA (which I collect) with unusual serial number stampings, the first thing that comes to mind is that someone may have tried to match up a gun which did not match, or someone freshened up a serial number that was weak. There are probably many other explanations such as maybe the gun was sent back to Colt and they refinished/repaired the gun and re-stamped some parts with new dies. Also, it is possible that the SAA came off of one production line where 'inspector A' stamped the serial numbers on it, but it may have had a defect on one part so he sent it back for rework. In that case, the rework department may have used their set of numbering dies to stamp the replaced part.
There are lots of scenarios that one can imagine.
BTW, I enjoy your posts!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
saintclair,

I think you hit the old "nail on the head" with your comments. Honestly, I don't feel it has been restamped due to the metal surface on the frame and the trigger guard looking in the same condition. Also, there is no indication of any type overstamp. But, when I see something "different", I want to know. I was not sure of the stamping during the process of manufacture of the individual parts. This may be something we will never know.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
From my experience, there are a lot of re-stamped Ainsworths.
Owned one! Many years ago one of my first purchases was a completely "restored" (faked) 4 digit Ainsworth that the seller swore was original. Had more money than brains back then AND (I feel like a fool for admitting this...) I trusted people!

I did get a small amount of satisfaction when I protested his application for CCA membership and they turned him down!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Years ago I had an early 3rd with the serial number of 84161SA. The first digit, "8", had been stamped 90 degrees from vertical and then restamped correctly leaving a serial number that looked like a "four leaf clover 4161SA". I did not get a premium for it but I would like to have it back. I would probably pay a little premium for the serial number errors. Regards.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I've got a couple old colts that have different heights of numbers where for instance the first 2 #'s are shorter & then along comes a taller # but never the same
#'s,then there are others where the 1st # is leaning a little & the rest are straight,I've noticed this on quite a few guns over the years.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
On 4 digit Ainsworths, two different #7 digits were used to stamp the serial number. (Colt Cavalry & Artillery Revolvers, 1994 by John A. Kopec and H. Sterling Fenn, page 266).

Hardware accessory Lock

·
Premium Member
21,838 Posts
hmaag, great picture/illustration. My first thought is that the Colt person who did the numbering may have used a 'jig' to hold all four numbers in alignment for stamping. If that is the case, he would have to have had 2 different '7's. I would argue that this gun's SN is completely legit !!
Here are some pictures of Ainsworth SN's with '7's' in them from some of my SAA's. (note the upside/down '8' on the first one I picture.) Also, notice there are two different '0's' in the last sn 10709.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
saintclair,

From the superb photos you posted, and seeing the difference in the "5" and "3" on the Frame and the Triggerguard, Colt did not stamp them at the same time.
I love the upside down "8"! Maybe the stamper had a few drinks the night before, LOL!

·
Premium Member
21,838 Posts
Abwehr, doing the same job all day long of stamping serial numbers would drive anyone to drink. Over the years in looking at many different Colts, you can tell that some numbers were stamped in by people who took their time to get all numbers in alignment and other people who just 'wacked' a number on the gun. This has always led me to believe there were probably several different assembly lines with a different 'wacker' or craftsman doing the serial numbers on each line. That certainly means Colt had many, many sets of stamping dies and each number in each set suffered from minor breaks and dings. The same can probably be said about 'roll dies.' Slight differences should be expected. For that reason, I get a bit miffed at gun shows when some 'so called' expert makes a pronouncement about something like a serial number 'not looking right' to him because the '7' (or some other number") is not exactly the way he thinks it should be.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Fun to take pause and really look at some of these old Serial Numbers!

The old Stamps tended to be pretty un-oriented in their design, so that once holding a single character Stamp in position, one could not tell what the orientation of the character is.

Set the Stamp down a moment, and, one has to look at the character end to see what it's orientation is, and, remember not to inadvertently rotate it, when about to apply it's character to the next item.

Some had witness marks on the side which faced the character's Bottom, and, that would be a help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.