Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, many of the six-guns carried in westerns are Italian-made Colt clones or rubber dummies. When I was younger, actors carried vintage Colt revolvers during the filming. Here are some of the serial numbers of 1st generation Colt Single Action revolvers used in the movies and TV.

· John Wayne used SN 174269 in the movie "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," and SN 203785 in the the movie "True Grit." He carried SN 309795 in other movies and public appearances.

· Steve McQueen used SN 84420 in the movie "The Magnificent Seven."

· Jack Palance used SN 110109 in the movie "Shane."

· Patrick Swayze used SN 350695 in the movie "Red Dawn."

· Kevin Costner used SN 75159 in the movie "Silverado."

· Slim Pickens used SN 2415 in various movies.

· Dan Blocker used SNs 34900, 219775 and 279623 in the TV series "Bonanza."

· Lorane Greene used SNs 99570 and 202162 in the TV series "Bonanza."

· Michael Landon used SNs 171020 and 267866 in the TV series "Bonanza."

· James Arness used SNs 147056 and 215596 in the TV series "Gunsmoke."

· Richard Boone used SN 313984 in the TV series "Have Gun Will Travel."

· Henry Darrow used SNs 78257 and 95192 in the TV series "High Chaparral."

· Gene Barry used SN 115692 in the TV series "Bat Masterson."

· Nick Adams used SN 128965 in the TV series "Johnny Yuma."

· Gene Autry used SN 68612 during several movies and his TV show.

Here is a serial number list of other 1st Generation Colt revolvers:
http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

Here is a link to my Historical Firearms Web Site
Historical Firearms Swords Sabers Bayonets Guns

Regards,
Rusty Edwards

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Today, many of the six-guns carried in westerns are Italian-made Colt clones or rubber dummies. When I was younger, actors carried vintage Colt revolvers during the filming. Here are some of the serial numbers of 1st generation Colt Single Action revolvers used in the movies and TV.

· John Wayne used SN 174269 in the movie "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," and SN 203785 in the the movie "True Grit." He carried SN 309795 in other movies and public appearances.

· Steve McQueen used SN 84420 in the movie "The Magnificent Seven."

· Jack Palance used SN 110109 in the movie "Shane."

· Patrick Swayze used SN 350695 in the movie "Red Dawn."

· Slim Pickens used SN 2415 in various movies.

· Dan Blocker used SNs 34900, 219775 and 279623 in the TV series "Bonanza."

· Lorane Greene used SNs 99570 and 202162 in the TV series "Bonanza."

· Michael Landon used SNs 171020 and 267866 in the TV series "Bonanza."

· James Arness used SNs 147056 and 215596 in the TV series "Gunsmoke."

· Richard Boone used SN 313984 in the TV series "Have Gun Will Travel."

· Henry Darrow used SNs 78257 and 95192 in the TV series "High Chaparral."

· Gene Barry used SN 115692 in the TV series "Bat Masterson."

· Nick Adams used SN 128965 in the TV series "Johnny Yuma."

· Gene Autry used SN 68612 during several movies and his TV show.

Here is a serial number list of other 1st Generation Colt revolvers:
http://www.swshana.com/gun_website/Colt_SAA_SNs.pdf

Here is a link to my Historical Firearms Web Site
Historical Firearms Swords Sabers Bayonets Guns

Regards,
Rusty Edwards
The main purpose for using the rubber guns was they were used by the stuntmen so that when they took a fall & happened to land on it they wouldn't bruise a hip.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Really interesting. Don't know how you researched the numbers. Lots of black powder #s.

He carried two guns in Silverado

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I have a Colt SAA revolver in .44-40 caliber, manufactured in 1882, with S/N 77505. At one time it belonged to Ellis Props & Graphics and they had them as rentals to the movie industry. I have attempted to find out more information but have not found any to date.

FoxLeft.jpg

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's what struck me about this list. Most actors had no idea of the age and history of their assigned gun. For example James Arness, who starred as Marshal Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke, probably had no idea that his prop gun, Colt SAA SN: 147056, was made only 88 guns before the Colt used by Harvey Logan, aka "Kid Curry" (SN: 147144), a member of the notorious "Wild Bunch" gang led by Butch Cassidy.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Abwehr, would a Colt like that be usable? Are they just for looks and history?
I am not an expert on the Movie Firearms, but mine is fully operational with a very good bore. All the finish is pretty well gone, but the revolver was in perfect condition when I got it and it is all matching including the Stocks.

When Ellis Props & Graphics sold their props back in the 1960s or sometime in that era, they provided a Certificate of Authenticity, but this one does not have open???? It would sure be nice to know what movies it may have been in and who shot it, LOL. It does have the "E" stamp in several locations indicating Ellis.

Here are a couple of photos I posted on the Forum about "what are the EE" on the revolvers. The guys here provided me with info about Ellis Props & Graphics. Also, another photos of the inside of the one of the stocks with a name and date. Maybe an owner at some period in the 1920s?????

IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1349.JPG

·
Registered
415 Posts
My one and only Movie gun.
View attachment 417105 View attachment 417113 View attachment 417121 View attachment 417129 View attachment 417137
It's almost a Colt. Made up movie Colt from a GW SAA. Given to my Dad that was a medic in WWll that patched up Mr. Murpuy.
There’s about 10 examples of Audie Murphy Great Western’s in my long term research list. A few stories like yours IE ‘given by Audie Murphy’. I don’t find any of these stories superficially not persuasive, I think they all ring of truth. But they do lack provenance most of the time. This gun of yours is pretty persuasive (had not seen it before). That might be a Great Western factory case, which would make it even more ‘persuasive’. I would love to see an exterior shot.

I doubt Murphy was cash compensated for being a spokesman for Great Western. I do think it’s true he could get revolvers for free from them almost anytime he wanted.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I had a Colt New Frontier of Audie`s. It was a 5 1/2" 45 colt #5355 NF. It was one of a consecutively numbered pair that were shipped to Wolfram Leather Co. in 1965. The mate to it is in George Garton`s book, "Post war Colt single action army's." He willed them to his sons.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
This is all great info. But I'm not sure about Kevin Costner. Arvo Ojala bent the hammers (which Ojala did on his own guns) on the pair of Colts Costner used and was gun coach for the movie. Colt collector Mike Halloway had those guns advertised for sale for a long time and they were stated as being 3rd generation in the very extensive ad text. When I ordered a rig from Ojala in 1985 he said Costner and Kevin Klein carried Colts and I think Scott Glen had a Uberti from Allen Firearms.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts