Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, hypothetically of course, if you were to inherit a gun that was over 100 years old and the serial number and many of the identifying numbers were apparently filed off, what would you do with it? Does it need to be registered? Can it be owned for historical purposes without a number? What if the number was removed by an historical figure who originally owned the gun? Say Cole Younger or Frank James used it in a western gun show they did together late in their life, what then? Is there anyone who knows of a resource someone in that position could turn to? Just curious of course.

Thanks,

Coltclassic

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Pretty simple really.
As I understand it, you can take it any BATFE field office and they will assign and stamp a ATF-XXXX serial number on it an duly record it as such. It will thereafter be known by that number. You may have to some proof of purchase or ownership. Not sure of all the details, but that is the crux of things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting

So if I'm catching this correctly, you would need to contact the ATF and have a serial number stamped on it. If you have no proof of purchase and the gun was handed down from grandfather to father to son and despite it's possible historical significance or significance as a family heirloom it would almost definitely be confiscated by the ATF. Is this about right? What if the gun was in a state of disrepair that made it impossible to fire?

Your help is extremely appreciated. Fast reply too. You guys are awesome.

Thanks,

Coltclassic

·
Registered
179 Posts
From the sounds of that letter, and the way things seem to be these days, I wouldn't get within a hundred miles of an ATFE office with that hypothetical gun. With no S/N on the gun, you couldn't prove it was yours or legitimate EVEN IF IT WAS. They'd be taking that off your hands, I'm afraid.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.