Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do most owners not post the entire serial number in their inquiries? Usually
the last few numbers are xxx.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
John is so right and you can bet "The Brady Bunch" and their "ilk" monitor all firarms forums and will glean any information and any serial numbers they can get their hands on for their own political purposes, mainly registration of all firearms, which is their second to end goal, which is total confiscation of all firearms, period.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 06-30-2004).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
I believe that all legally owned or bought handguns have already been registered since 1968. I know all the ones I bought since 1968 are in my name and I wouldn't sell one that was regestered to me without being sure that it was legally transfered and/or regestered in the new owners name. Try buying a handgun on the internet without going through a dealer, if you can, it would be smart to back off, it may be HOT.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

John is so right and you can bet "The Brady Bunch" and their "ilk" monitor all firarms forums and will glean any information and any serial numbers they can get their hands on for their own political purposes, mainly registration of all firearms, which is their second to end goal, which is total confiscation of all firearms, period.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G

·
0 Posts
"I believe that all legally owned or bought handguns have already been registered since 1968."

Actually, no, that is not the definition of "registered" for most people. And it is perfectly legal to sell firearms between individuals in most states without any paperwork or FFL licensees involved. Even when FFL dealers are involved their records are kept locally, subject to audit, but are not residing in some big central computer in Washington D.C.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
k1911, That is exactly the registration I'm talking about a federal, national, computer database registration of all guns.

I know before I left Maryland, you could legally buy and sell guns between individuals, but if you bought through a dealer, they sent paperwork with the make, model, and serial number to the state police for get this, not "Approval", but a stamp that said "Not Disapproved" (so you could never say "they" approved anyone to buy a gun) and they had the firearm info on file forever. It may similar in PA were Ira is from.

Down here, as you said, You can buy between individuals but through a dealer they call it in with all your particular information and the only thing that is included (over the phone) is is it a handgun, shotgun or rifle, no other information. And you get your OK over the phone.
All other information about that transaction is kept at the dealers, subject to audit, until he eventually goes out of business and then he must turn it over to the BATFE, but that might be years from now.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It will depend on what state you are in as to the registration of sale between individuals. Here it's entirely possible for the handgun to be registered when it's bought new from a dealer, then spend the rest of it's life being sold to individuals in this state and never create another paper trail to it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I understand that most all States have different laws reguarding Firearms but I was thinking of the GCA of 1968. Like DB68 said, once a dealer turns in his books every "legal" sale since 1968 is in the hands of the BATFE. What they do with them is anyones guess but I don't think they burn them.

Bottom line for me is I don't want anyone walking around with a gun that can be checked as "Ira Paine" was the last regestered owner of the gun we found where the shooting took place, lets see where he was at the time of the shooting.

I'm sure you guys get what I'm talking about.
I don't think anyone needs that kind of problem. Bottom line again, if a gun I own was regestered in my name by a dealer or transfered from someone else and put in my name as the new owner, I make sure if I sell it it's regestered in the next guys name as the last owner. I know of something like this happening to a friend of mine and I don't think anyone would want to go through what he did. One thing I know for sure, any gun that was made after 1968 can be checked by BATFE as to who the last "legally" regestered owner was, that's how they "found" my friend and he bought the gun in question in 1970. Lucky for him he could prove that the gun was reported stolen in 1973. I don't remember when the shooting was, I think it was the late 1980's but they still found him as the last regestered owner and wanted to know where the gun was and where he was at the time of the shooting.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

k1911, That is exactly the registration I'm talking about a federal, national, computer database registration of all guns.

I know before I left Maryland, you could legally buy and sell guns between individuals, but if you bought through a dealer, they sent paperwork with the make, model, and serial number to the state police for get this, not "Approval", but a stamp that said "Not Disapproved" (so you could never say "they" approved anyone to buy a gun) and they had the firearm info on file forever. It may similar in PA were Ira is from.

Down here, as you said, You can buy between individuals but through a dealer they call it in with all your particular information and the only thing that is included (over the phone) is is it a handgun, shotgun or rifle, no other information. And you get your OK over the phone.
All other information about that transaction is kept at the dealers, subject to audit, until he eventually goes out of business and then he must turn it over to the BATFE, but that might be years from now.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ira, on that part I heartily agree, any gun that I have "paper" on, I will only sell through a legal FFL licensed holder, either to him or through him to another FFL holder.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts