Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The series 70 I recently got, has a compensator/bushing. The bushing is one piece with compensator. No change to barrel, uses the original. Would like to go back to a original type bushing. I believe some series 70s started out with a bushing that had “fingers” then later colt went back to the solid design.
not knowing which bushing this started with, can I just use a solid bushing?
Do I need a to know the barrel diameter at the muzzle or do they all work?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
If the barrel O.D. flares slightly at the muzzle, you need a collett bushing. If it is a uniform diameter from just ahead of the chamber to the muzzle, a standard bushing will be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
You could look on eBay for a collet bushing if you wanted to, but yes a standard bushing will work just fine.
Should have clarified my reply. I do not know how much the colt barrels flared, if they did at all. I have a Bar-Sto collett barrell and the barrel O.D flares enough that the fingers release their tension during cycling. If used with a standard bushing, the flare hammers the inner I.D. at the muzzle of the bushing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, you can just use a standard or fitted solid bushing. I've owned several 70 Series Government and Gold Cup models. The factory barrels I have measured were all in the range of .579"-.580" at the muzzle, same as factory Colt barrels that used solid bushings. The barrels appear flared because the diameter to the rear of the muzzle tapers down to approx. .568" in diameter to allow the barrel to unlock as the slide recoils.

Back in the day, I sometimes replaced the collet bushing with a standard Colt solid drop-in bushing. I did this because word was that the collet bushing would eventually break. I never had one break, in fact one 70 Series Gold Cup I owned is still in the family, and still using the original collet bushing approx. 45 years later. The solid replacement bushings worked just fine, but accuracy deteriorated unless a match bushing instead was fitted to the barrel and slide....

BTW, EGW stocks many 1911 type bushings with various I.Ds. and O.Ds., and will make a bushing to your specs if you'll send them your barrel diameter at the muzzle and slide I.D.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My pistol had the collet type bushing (barrel slightly larger at muzzle) when I bought it new. Years later the plunger tube came off; sent the gun to Colt on their dime for repair. After repair the pistol was returned to me with a solid bushing. Asked them why; "collet bushings have a history of breaking" I was told. No modifications are needed for the solid bushing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts