Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted this inquery on another site, I appologise for the redundancy but I really need help!! I am charged with disposing of a late friend's collection. There are two series 70 Gold Cups, made in 1973. Both have lightened slides. I have often read that series 70's don't have this feature. I need to set an ask price for these guns. Are they rare? If so, what would you set as value? Both are pristine (no blems that I can see) though both have been fired. Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have one, I have been looking for some time myself for a value. this is what i have found. my gun is at 90% so it nice but not perfect. what I have seen on gun broker thier was one in the same shape as mine bidded out to 1,100.00 and reserve did not get meet. thier is another one that is in worse shape than mine and the bidding ended at 900.00 again the reserve not meet. both of them had original boxes nither boxes was in the shape of mine. so what does that mean so far we have established that the gun will bid out to atleast 900 to 1100 at auction. now what is the gun worth.

I have asked the question with mixed resaults and I have heard everything from 800 to "I have turned down offers or 1300.00 for mine" so some people stated that the gun can go higher than 1300. my experince is it is worth what someone will pay for it. so i think that the 900 to 1100 i have seen of gun broker would be correct.

again i have seen guns i did not think was in great shape at all with buy it now bids of 1400.00

truth is I dont know for sure but I would love to know for myself. I have included some auctions i have watched on the gun if you find out let me know

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42117812
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=41981143
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42591586

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also looked in a gun blue book and saw the price from 800 to 1200 depending on shape.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harry, the three listings you posted were for PRE- series 70 NM guns. Mine are series 70's. The lightened slide was standard on the pre series gun, I've been told that the 70 didn't have a lightened slide. Is your's a 70 series?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Skipper, I seem to remember that the 'lightened' slides were only on the first 10,000 of the 'pre -70 NM's.

As for the values, the 'top dollar' only goes for mint, original, in the box guns. The 'pre -70' do go for a much higher price , the 70 series around here will 'sell' for around $900-$1100 and the 80's series for under $1000. Yes, I know there are always "exceptions".;)

Yes, an auction can and will drive up these prices ,all it takes is two people wanting it(careful here cause sometimes the 'other' person may be a friend of the seller and once they "see " interest, he will bid up against you. Happens far too often, even if he "wins" (beats you out) he just "gives it back to the seller to relist at a later date' or they change 'sellers'. SCAM ! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts