Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone else had a MK IV Series 80 GM? Don't see them mentioned much though there must have been a bunch of them made. I bought mine back in the mid 1980's for $385. That's what it cost a friend who was an 01 FFL including shipping and that's what he charged me. I no longer have the original box but still have the factory mag. Probably haven't put more than 500rds through it in all these years so she still looks about 99% and is bone stock. Only issue I ever had was that she will randomly toss a spent case straight back at my five head. Yeah, that's right. It used to be a four head but with less hair on top it's gained a point /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Other than that one issue it's been a good gun. The serial# is FG53xxx if anyone can tell me whe she was made I'd appreciate it. TIA

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not a lot of responds to your question Richard, so I'll pipe in.

I do own some Series 80 MK IV Government Models. I agree that a bunch were made and that they are fine guns. Unfortunately they do not have the following that the Series 70's have. A lot of GM owners turn their nose up on the firing pin set up in the Series 80.

I have used mine as traveling companions where their flatness and large caliber come in handy. I have also used another as a hunting side arm to dispatch a deer that has not yet realized he is freezer bound.

I also have been hit in the head by a case or two from my Series 80. I have found these guns to be dependable and fun to shoot. I can't tell you they are the most accurate guns I've ever shot. But all in all, I like them.

Sorry I can't give you a date on your gun as it is not close to anything I own. I suggest you just call Colt for the DOM.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Sorry can't date it exactly, but the green book says they began manufacture in 1983 with Serial Number FG01000
Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies. Was beginning to think I had violated some code of conduct /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I had heard that some view the Series 80 along the lines of a red headed stepchild but I didn't think they were a taboo subject /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
37 Posts
Richard,

Could never claim to even remotely be an expert on these but I just got a new to me Series 80 Gold Cup. Turned up noses or not I like her very, very much. Mine is an early model polished stainless and she is quickly becomming a favorite. Just pimptastic if you get my drift. Hold on to it and keep her shooting. The wheel turns IMO and Series 80 will come "into" it's own sooner or later. Let them make a Series 90 (hey, would that be an XSE?) and you will see us all wax rhapsodic about them. Just my solicited .02.

Tim

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
When Colt FINALLY made a stainless Government Model in 1983, I bought the first one I could get, having wanted a stainless GM since seeing my first Smith & Wesson Model 60 in 1965 (the first production stainless handgun by a major manufacturer). It turned out to be one of the highest quality Post-War Colts I have ever seen. No plastic parts as came later. Fantastic finish. Very tight. I still marvel at it when I look at it. Remember the Colt announcement advertisements showing a stainless GM in a dishwasher rack with water droplets on it? Neat!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with the Judge, and I got a polished stainless Gold Cup that still is beautiful.....

Terry

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a "lurker" I must say that I would be happy to have any 1911 that said "Colt" on it. Up to today, I could never afford one. Someday I will be able to; and, when I do, I wouldn't care if it was a Series 70 or Series 80.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Both my 1991A1 and Combat Commander are Series 80. Pain to put back together sometimes but not so bad.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have one.

Mk IV Series 80 made up to look like a WWII-Vietnam Era USGI. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts