Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Series 80,.45ACP described as "new with custom nickel finish", offered at $ 1200.00.

I'm new to Colt autos and I'd like to know the ups and downs of this Colt model, especially what to watch out for. Would also like to hear about sources of holsters for it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Louis of Pennsylvania

·
Registered
16 Posts
That seems pretty pricey. What kind of nickle? If it's electroless nickle it protects the gun and does not have a tendency to chip or peel. Is it refinished? If refinished did they ruin the sharp edges and the Colt markings? I like the series 80 for carry since the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled to unlock the firing pin. So even in the very rare event something would cause the hammer to fall it still won't fire. Downside is the trigger feel isn't quite as good as the earlier models but I'll take the safer version for carry. Unless this is some rare model or from the Colt Custom Shop it should be more in the $700-$900 range in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron,
Thanks for responding. They tell me it's "new" and was only proof fired at the factory, and that the nickel finish was done at the factory. I appreciate that you told me of the safety feature; it sounds very worthwhile. Question: if the trigger pull is a bit off, could a competent gunsmith work on it? Does $ 1200 still seem high? I don't know the price of new Colts.
Thanks,
Lou

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not that the series 80 triggers are "off", you are just moving more stuff. Instead of just releasing the sear, the trigger is also raising a small lever that lifts a plunger beside the firing pin which allows the pin to move forward. As long as the parts are not binding the trigger feels almost the same. I have examples of both styles and I never notice the difference. Maybe if you are primarily a competition target shooter the trigger may not feel quite as crisp. In normal use by everyday folks it's a non issue. New Colts are not plentiful but I wouldn't pay $1200 for one. It's up to you but you can get quite a few nice .45's in that price range or lower, Kimber, S&W, etc.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I too think thats high. I prefer a stainless pistol anyhow.

The series 70 / 80 arguement is well over stated; a good smith can make the trigger any way you want it and can even remove the series 80 stuff if it bothers a shooter that much.

I would bet I could line up 10 REAL shooters, blind-folded, and have them shoot 4 pistols back to back. No one could tell me which of the 4 were 70 versus 80 based upon trigger pull.

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts