Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good substitute for a Wilson Combat mag Colt Series 80 ? As most of you know, it's flawless and has a lifetime warranty. (The stock mags that come with the Colt are awful.) Want to stay with the traditional 7 round configuration; there must be equal quality options.
What do you suggest?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've not had a problem with colt mag's that came with my Colt 1911 pistol's. Who is the manufacture of colt mag's? I think it's CMI out of Long Island, N.Y. I know they had military contract's for the M14 magazine's.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
MecGar is a Colt supplier as well as for S&W, Beretta, Kahr etc (or that's what they told me at an NRA convention a couple of years ago) . Colt likely has more than one.
Vic

Reactions: MarkInTx and JOG

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I've never had a problem with a Colt factory supplied mag...neither have I had trouble with Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines. In 2018 Chip McCormick wanted to retire and sold his business to Wilson Combat. Maybe Wilson wanted his follower patents...don't know. All are top quality magazines.

Reactions: Kerz

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
By the way Midway USA shows Wilson mags in stock.
Vic

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I like Colt 7 round mags. But most any quality mag will do in a 7 round format.

I prefer 8 round 45 mags. Toss up between CMC 8 round power mags and the original Wilson 8 round mags for me. I think the CMC have more rigid lips and I like the metal followers. 10Ks of thousands of rounds down range from both.

I once did a harsh durability test of both side by side. 8 rounds loaded in the mags, then thrown full force onto cement until they failed in one way or another. The CMC lasted the longest. Wilson blew/broke the synthetic mag pad off. CMC synthetic pads held up to the abuse. I eventually changed both to metal mag pads and tried it again. Pretty much a tie at that point. Now I just buy which ever is the least expensive.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have two 8 round 1911 mags that I got with a S&W scandium frame I bought 15 or so year's ago. They are marked ACT-MAG PSI Made in Italy. Great mag's never a issue with these. I sold the S&W,I use them in my Colt 1911's. The rest of my mag's are all 7 round mag's. I guess the 8 round mag's are relievable enough for carry. I still carry 7 round mag's.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Another vote here for MecGar, both 7 & 8 rounders run great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts