Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone else use for ammunition in their Python for the 'more serious work'?

After doing a lot of research/reading... I kept the following in mind with my Python:

• Its 4" barrel
  • Its unique barrel design
  • Its twist rate
  • Having to pick from what's ACTUALLY available currently

I decided on this flavor... I'm sure the coinage I gave was at a premium but it took a long time (almost gave up) to find any in-stock from a reputable www source:

Product Font Rectangle Tool Test tube

Rectangle Font Material property Packaging and labeling Carton

Office supplies Wood Writing implement Metal Font

I thought about trying out some 140-grain Barnes 357 Mag figuring that wasn't too far off the 145-grain Winchester Silvertip 357 Mag threshold for the whole accuracy thing... but it's currently a $$$ gamble if it didn't work out. I mean, if you find something good in-stock you'd probably better jump on enough for your needs/wants cuz it might be gone by the time you refresh your browser! 馃槩

Well, at least practice grade ammo is coming down with the better availability. Just in the last month or 2 it would seem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The 158-grain JSHP preforms pretty well in tests and the above Remington flavor is on the lower end of the 158-grain velocity scale. That helps it out a bit with over penetration although it's still on the max end for sure according to the tests I found. Hopefully it also lends itself to less recoil for better followup shots. (I'm not 'recoil shy' but unneeded recoil is never preferred) I notice that a lot of the more current 158-grain offerings are pushing higher velocities geared more to hunting applications.

Registered
If we鈥檙e limiting the conversation to commercial loads, I have two go-to picks.

Here they are, with MV, ME, and 2鈥 radius MPBR (max point-blank range) for a 4-inch barrel鈥 plus gel-tested penetration (not mine, but from same barrel length) for one of them.

First is for defensive carry and the second is for medium game (I.e. possible pistol-range deer opportunity (I would limit this to 15yds, personally) while out bow/rifle hunting).

Winchester Silvertip 145gr JHP

Remington HTP .357 Mag. 180gr SJHP

mos

Premium Member
A couple of considerations. Years ago when revolvers were the norm, it was known that the highest percentage of 鈥渙ne shot stop鈥 cartridge combo was the .357 125 grain HP. It鈥檚 possible that because of a higher probability that the bullet expanded, that it was less of a concern for bystanders. Which you touched on the other consideration and why some departments were not allowed to use 357 and that was over penetration. LEO鈥檚 have some legal protection when operating within their SOP and because of that, unintended consequences occur. A civilian can plan on being sued if a bystander is injured or worse. Maybe a good thing that the percentage is low of a innocent being injured in these situations. And with a 357, one can decide if a 38 or 38 plus P is more appropriate at say a crowded sports event or other crowded venue.
The good about 357 is if the perp tried to use a car door and most inside doors or walls as cover, they would learn the hard way it isn鈥檛. Currently one of my vehicles has a finished challenged trooper MKIII 357 hidden in it. It鈥檚 either got factory jacketed soft points or hollow points in it. I guess it might have a higher chance firing through a vehicle鈥檚 sheet metal. I think it鈥檚 good that you using hollow points to hopefully expel a lot of the energy on the intended target.
If a self defense situation occurs, one uses what they have. If it was a 357, I would feel well protected and seldom underpowered indeed.

Registered
There鈥檚 no one 鈥渂est鈥 round for self-defense. Everything is a series of compromises鈥ach gun shoots different鈥ower vs recoil鈥ullet design鈥acketed vs lead.

The Python has a tighter rate of twist than most makes which should mean it鈥檚 better suited for heavier bullets鈥et my Python snubby loves the Winchester 鈥淭reasury Load鈥濃heir 110 grain .38 Special +P+ round. I don鈥檛 believe Winchester catalogs it anymore but I understand their 110 grain .357 is the same round but in a .357 case to keep people from blowing up .38 Special revolvers not suited to such higher pressures.

Also鈥ullet design is always changing. The round you buy today may not be the same next year due to changes and improvements in design and manufacturing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If we鈥檙e limiting the conversation to commercial loads, I have two go-to picks.

Here they are, with MV, ME, and 2鈥 radius MPBR (max point-blank range) for a 4-inch barrel鈥 plus gel-tested penetration (not mine, but from same barrel length) for one of them.

First is for defensive carry...

Winchester Silvertip 145gr JHP
I did go online looking for Silvertip 145's (my #1 choice) but it was NOWHERE! (That's what got me looking for an alternative.) I'll keep my eyes peeled for it while out and about as I believe my chances are better that way... too much online competition it would seem. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... it was known that the highest percentage of 鈥渙ne shot stop鈥 cartridge combo was the .357 125 grain HP.
Setting aside the 'one shot stop' thing, the Python's unique barrel twist/design doesn't lend itself to accuracy with the lighter rounds. Something I'm very familiar with. Can some firearms be an exception? Sure, but vast majority will not, ya know?

I did find myself a deal on some 125-grains for practice so I can start putting my Python to the bullet grain test. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Premium Member
The only thing I do with my 125gr. 357 ammo is shoot water filled 2 liter soda bottle to demonstrate why someone doesn鈥檛 want to get shot with .357. I do often use my 6鈥 older python for this but the range is less than 25 yards. Now that I think of it, it鈥檚 about 10-15 yards. Not really an accuracy check but for self defense situations this would be more than acceptable accuracy. But again, I dont believe I have ever done accuracy testing with 125 grain 357鈥et. I might have to try it because everything else is tac driving.
For years we were lead to believe that one should only use factory ammunition for SD situations. Fine. My SD ammo may be reloaded or factory just because it鈥檚 what鈥檚 available.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There鈥檚 no one 鈥渂est鈥 round for self-defense. Everything is a series of compromises鈥ach gun shoots different鈥ower vs recoil鈥ullet design鈥acketed vs lead.

The Python has a tighter rate of twist than most makes which should mean it鈥檚 better suited for heavier bullets鈥
I understand and agree 100%!

So my 4" Python is my 1st... combine that with my lack of needing to have ANY 357Mag ammo around (haven't owned one in years) at all means I'm bringing up the rear with what ammo choices are ACTUALLY available currently.

I had to start somewhere and I'm not the type to just grab a box of ammo off the shelf based on its packaging. I put some thought/research into it 1st which I find part of the fun. :)

Finding out about the Python's barrel did help me narrow my search down a lot... but it also has shown me that there actually isn't much factory ammo geared towards the Python and 2-leg self defense. 馃槩 I'm betting this is for several reasons... but all reasons lead to the $$$ bottom-line.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you reload you can google Lehigh Defense and they do sell ammo through Midway UsA
I used to reload (long story which involves an X wife 馃榿) and really should make getting back into it a priority now that I have the room once again... my issue is justifying the cost of the setup I have picked out... I don't want just any 'ol thing now. (Of course if I didn't buy my Python then I could have been nearly there... but that isn't as much fun... this is my problem. :))

Registered
For revolver carry, I much prefer .38 special Nyclad in something concealable, like a 2.25" 66 or similar. I don't carry any Pythons. If I had a 4", I reckon I would.
I am perfectly content to put .38 specials on target.
I shoot the 6" Pythons just fine with full power loads, bit they ain't really practical for concealed carry.
For pistol, there really is no better than a .45 acp HydraShok.
They handle easy, do not create a lot of commotion, and leave large holes in whatever needs holes.
For practical purposes, any hit with any kind of round is better than a miss. Or 6 misses. Or 15 misses. Or any number of misses actually........
My days of high velocity experimentation are all behind me now. I like the stuff that is easy to shoot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts