Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a SAA (5 1/2" blued) for my first handgun, even as expensive as they are. Thing is, I might also end up carrying this for a while for self defense. Question is though, will it take modern loads, nothing hot, but moderate. The ammo I'm specifically looking at right now is the Winchester silver tip ammo. Advertised at 225gr with 950 fps. I don't know if the SAA is up to par with modern ammo, but since one of the versions is chambered in .357 I wouldn't think it would be a problem. This wouldn't see a whole lot of range use since Iplan on practicing loading, unloading and general use with aRuger Single Six. This is because the ammo is cheaper, has less recoil etc. I'll use the Colt, but not as much at the range. Anyhow, with these bullets (winchester), will it provide me with a long reliable service life? I did some searching, and found that someone did use this ammo, but said nothing about longevity. Thanks guys

·
Registered
46 Posts
Love the name. I wish I thought of that

Cheers

Solid Snake

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
NRA Life Mbr

·
Registered
48 Posts
this will probably couase quite a stir here but here goes... the old time pros avoided the colt saa becouse of its unreliability, they are a great gun, fun to shoot and own, but i personally would not depend on one for personal defence.. they simply break down to much and reload is very slow.. the ruger is more dependable.. good luck dave......

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Dave. However if you MUST use it most major ammo companies load down to safe levels. Some don't, Like Corbon except for their cowboy load. I would personally stay with lead rounds. And, if you MUST carry it concealed I recommend Bob Mernickle's PS6SA. It is the only holster I would consider.

·
Registered
48 Posts
someone agrees with me about a gun issue.. and a colt no less.!!! i want to buy you a cup of coffee to find out what other strange habbits do we enjoy?!!! have a nice day.. dave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, now I'm finally able to reply (wasn't working for some reason). Anyhow, now I've found that Ruger does actually make the model I'm looking for, it's the colored case blued Vaquero specifically the BNV-455. I'll get a Colt eventually, but Ruger is the better option for serious use.

SnWnMe, yeah, now you can see why I want a single action army, since it is the greatest handgun ever made, plus the winchester silver tips, becuase after all, there is nothing like the feeling of slamming a long silver bullet into a well greased chamber.

BTW, what makes the Colt unreliable anyway? Since it is the Third generation, I would think it would be improved after 130 years of production.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the leaf spring under the trigger has two functions and the originals had a square bottom of the split forked spring which cause the prongs to break this stoped the bolt from locing upn and if you fired it the bullet could be seriously off center.. this was improved with rounding the slot bottom on the spring but if broken two this last year.. idont know about the third generation colts springs.. cimmerons springs (colt copy) also breaks springs.. dave

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Albert, you are such a nice agreeable sort, I like you! Dick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a way to get a stronger spring then, perhaps an aftermarket piece to improve on the problem? Rugers don't seem to have this problem, are they just a totally different design? What then is the average service life of this spring, or is it simply unpredictable?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm going to respectfully sit on the other side of the fence. After reading Skeeter Skelton for years, I finally got my 1st SAA. That has been years ago also. But anyway, Skeeter has owned hundreds of Colt SAAs, and he didn't find it to be a serious problem. He found that they were more prone to broken springs if they had been abused by some would be fast draw shark who fanned the gun than by anything else. Bob Munden will work over a SAA for fast draw and fanning, and when he is done with it is a reliable gun that will take this abuse also. Mike Venturino is another gun writer that has had very long useage out of his SAAs and I don't believe he has mentioned these problems as very serious. Relax if you want a SAA for long use. It should stand up to non abusive shooting for a long, long time.

I have also relied on a SAA for defence, and it is not ideal in this role. Quick to point and get off a shot, it is still slow to reload. But then, most gun fights are settled in just a few rounds anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after a while, when I could do handloads, I would probably fan it, I'll bet the ruger is better in this respect, is it not? the time I get a colt though, I'll have it worked over, and by that time I'll do handloads so I can use the ammo I want without pressure problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fanning any SA revolver is abusive unless it has been specially modified. The Ruger is not an exception to this rule.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The spring is a weak area in a SAA, it is not the weakest part. There are aftermarket springs that are better/thicker than the factory part. I have gone 5k rounds without breaking one on one specimen and on another broke it after 300 rounds. Go figure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love the SAAs but the very best that I've ever found actually weren't Colts, Rugers or Ubertis. They were German, proofed as are all German guns and made by J.P. Sauers & Sohns and by a small company called Herbert Schmidt. They are really a joy to shoot. There is no feeling in the world like a nice SA rolling up in your hand and then rolling back on target.

Edited to add a picture.

From the top, Sauer 45Colt & 44 Mag. Bottom Herbert Schmidt 357 Magn.

[This message has been edited by jar (edited 10-23-2003).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts