Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's
The local shop has a Service Ace, serial no. SM 43something (I think that ws the number). I'm bad about estimating condition, maybe 95%. Barrel bluing worn, some minor scrathes,mostly on the front sight, nothing severe or glaring. Come with box and papers. They want 895 for it.
From the research here, I understand they made them from 78-83, and made about 29,000 of them. Also the price seems in the ballpark.
Are these fairly accurate? Reliable? I've heard of problems with the floating chamber.
Anything else to look for?
Any opinions iether way?
Thanks.....Bob

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's about correct-if a little high considering condition-for an Ace. Colt may have made 29K of them, but they just aren't all that common. Lots of people have problems with the floating piston and its chamber fouling and "freezing up", but if you keep it clean (every 50 rounds or so) and use copper-washed ammo, you'll minimize fouling problems. I have a conversion unit (70 series) on a 70 repro frame and the only problem I've ever had is the occasional stovepipe on the last round from the mag. I clean the chamber and piston with Flitz, oil it lightly and have never had it lock up. -Asa

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think $895 is top-dollar for that Ace. If you want to shoot a .22 on a .45 platform, may I suggest a Marvel conversion? They're much more accurate and much less maintainence-intensive. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guy's;
Thanks for the reply's. Figured it was alittle high, every gun I look at here in Albuquerque is high, even new Glocks.
I've been considering the MArvel unit, spoke to my gunsmith about building up a dedicated frame, probably buy the Marvel, and build a frame later on, Thanks.
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts