Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening , i have just handeled a OMM not with little srvice stocks instead of the larger target ons , have also sen two or three more on the internet , was this an option at one time??
rj

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
As always, you could order whatever you wanted from the factory.

BUT.........What commonly happens is, someone is selling the gun, and simply "robs" the nice target grips for use on another gun, and puts the service grips on the OMM.

Over the years I seen a number of Colt revolvers originally fitted with target hammers and grips that now have service hammers and grips.

Most people quickly figure out that the Python they're looking at wasn't shipped from Hartford with a Service hammer in it.
Somewhere there's a Trooper or 357 with a new Target hammer in it.

This has gotten worse lately with the prices Colt grips are bringing on Ebay.

A pair of early, First type fully checkered target grips usually brings $100.00 or more.

If people are going to trade or sell a Colt with these grips, they figure, "why not"?, and switch them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
This seems to confront me often as I'm fond of the OMM, OMS, OP, Trooper, Python, etc ... They all interchange stocks ... FWW, I've come to find that I prefer the new Python stocks to any of the earlier ones. I like the feel and the look, they don't block the cylinder and work right or left handed - for me, anyway. These also have a small palm-swell and finger grooves. The earlier target stocks like to jam up cylinder-ejection and just squirm a lot with magnums. I find nothing about the cut-down ones that I like, but they do give you cylinder clearance. I also like the Pachmayrs and Hogues but just don't like the way they look. I stumbled on these Python replacement stocks at a pawn shop and really like them alot. Actually, for my best shooting, the skinny service stocks work the best but they're not very confortable for magnums, either. Those OMM's were/are terrific revolvers and will shoot well with anything I've ever tried on them. I should mention, too,that there must have been some hand-fitting on all of the larger, target stocks as I'd swear they all feel different!
May-be-so? Even the skinny, service jobs have their own personality. I've even grown to enjoy the plastic Colt Wood jobs! When the Trooper Mark III's came out, I sure wasted a lot of breath bad-mouthing them and how cheap they looked, blah, blah, blah ... Now, I like them, too! They do a nice job of lining up the gun in your grip - very consistantly, which is what they're supposed to do. Good guns - those Colt revolvers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts