Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone... New member here.

I have a question that I am hoping others can help me with. Background info....

21 years ago I got married. When I popped the question I conditioned it with the requirement that she would carry a gun. She agreed! :D So, off to the gun store I go... Since I was purchasing a revolver for her naturally I would need to purchase a matching one for me. :cool: And so I purchased the two Colt 38's in the picture. Both are SF-VI with hers being the Special Lady version. I took her to the range to let her get acquainted with the trigger and the recoil. She shot it less than 50 times, put it in a holster and it has been there ever since. I put about 100 rounds through mine, carried it for a while then put it back in the box and grabbed my Glock 30 and never looked back.

Now my question... I am now thinking of carrying a revolver again and just happen to find out that the two I have are of limited production and may be of value. So, if you had these two would you use them for EDC or would you get a different revolver? If they are a collector's item what ballpark?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jeff

IMG_0260.jpg

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The Colt special lady is quite valuable especially if you still have the original box with the matching end label. The SF-VI is not inexpensive but again the Special Lady is quite valuable.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
They look to be about the best choice possible to CC pocket carry. For many years I have packed snubbed hammer smiths.
I don`t know about the rarity or value but they look to be the perfect packing snubbed revolvers. By the way, I cant see what difference there is between the pair. What is it?

·
Premium Member
7,381 Posts
As G27racing said, I know that the Special Lady will bring much more coin than original price. It is a collector gun.
The SVFI was only made for 2 years, so it’s not off the charts collector value, but it’s also worth more than original price.
Here is an option to consider.. if you really don’t really care about any collector value of the guns yourself, and really just want revolvers for protection, I’d sel, the two guns, and the revenue will easily fund two new Colt cobras which will have the high visibility front sights that can be swapped out for night sights now, .... and will have the newer internal spring for a better double action trigger pull. The new Cobras are basically the same gun as the SF-VI with those improvements and prices have come down to be had for under $600 I believe. Two new guns and some cash left over.
Both SF-VI and new Cobra are mim parts guns, and they are very similiar. Just a thought for ya.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
They look to be about the best choice possible to CC pocket carry. For many years I have packed snubbed hammer smiths.
I don`t know about the rarity or value but they look to be the perfect packing snubbed revolvers. By the way, I cant see what difference there is between the pair. What is it?
The difference between the two is that the Colt Special Lady is basically a SFVI but in factory Bright Stainless and with a factory Bobbed Hammer. As mentioned those were made in very limited quantities and tend to bring a premium price today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like this idea. When I purchased them I didn't get them to collect, they were for protection. But if I could get a Cobra!!! I may visit my local gun shop and see if he is interested in buying/trading both guns. I have the original cases and paperwork...may have the original receipt, not that that would add anything to the price. :) Thank you, this really helped! I off to do some research on Cold Cobra's!:~)

Jeff

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Jeff, Please don't try to trade them in at a gun shop unless you enjoy coming home without your shorts. The Special Lady has enough value to cover two of the new Cobra's. Consider selling them here in our classified once you get enough post built up so that you can list them. JMO D*

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,667 Posts
As said NEVER trade a gun at a gun shop.
They have to make a profit so they will always offer less then the actual value, often in less ethical shops, a LOT less.

Ways to sell are to find a gun shop that does consignment sales.
You tell the store how much you want and they add a percentage for their profit. If is sells they give you the money you asked for.

Selling on this forum is also a great way to get a fair price.

You can also sell through one of the gun auction sites like Gunbroker.com but this is a rather complicated and sometimes risky way to go, plus you have to pay the site a fee if the gun sells.

In any case, if you have to send the gun to a buyer, you have to ship it via UPS or Fed-Ex at their most expensive rates, which can cost anywhere from $50 to $100 depending on where it's going. You have to figure in shipping on your selling price.
You cannot ship it through the USPS unless you have an FFL Dealers license.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts