Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SASSkit.jpg
Thought I would start a thread to share those SASS combinations we all love to shoot.
Top is a Marlin 94 in 38-40.
I shoot two top pistols in 41 Colt, one is marked 41 Colt the other is a 38-40 with a 41 Colt cylinder. Very accurate at cowboy ranges.
The lower Bisleys are 38-40s. Love only having to carry one load and not sort brass when I get home.
I am also working on a 32-20 outfit, need another SAA to complete.
So show us what ya got, y'all.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Your holsters seem to be "canted" for both hand draw, (instead of cross-draw for your off-hand), do you shoot "ambi" ; or is it perhaps required in the sport ??
I have a single action Colt, but not at all familiar with your rules.

·
Banned
8,681 Posts
Cool thread :cool:

But you might be sorry you asked :)

I have a few set ups I like to shoot. Rifles at all Winchester clones, '73 the most common but a Henry and a '66 get used as well, in 32, 44 and 45 and 92s in 44 and 32-20

My '73 in 32-20.

My wife's 32-20s...mine are blue and cased with camel bone one piece. I use a '73 short rifle with these. Tracy uses a deluxe '53. Her SASS #2903.

44 Specials with a '66 short rifle or on occasion with a '92 carbine.

45's in several forms always with '73.

My beloved '73 short rifle in 45 Colt I built almost 30 years ago now. I shoot it most often as a short mag tube gun.

My favorite pair are these Jerry Harper Colt's.

Another favorite pair of shooters....one done by Adams Sr. the other by D. Smalley

This target was from a a cold and windy day. I was off but either gun will do much better. Even this is easily 10 times better than what SASS requires a handgun.

On occasion I'll throw this one on cross draw..

Or use these with a matching 7.5" in cross draw or a straight and cross combo. So easy to hit anything with a 7.5" gun :)

I typically us a straight drop carved rig shown on the far left here.

But this is my most recent bikini rig...both guns are muzzle forward. Easier to draw from physically but not authentic by any means. Just "game" leather. I shoot single handed in gunfighter.

·
Banned
8,681 Posts
Ha, ha! You go get'm Bighipiron.

Funny story. I have a friend who is a contractor in a good size city doing all that entails every day.
He's also a fair horseman on a 5 acre plot of ground that is set up pretty nicely, with a full size arena, 60' round pen, and room to board a dozen horses in tight quarters. A tidy place. We share a lot of the same interest in guns. But he isn't a competitive shooter and has never wanted to be one in the 20+ years I've known him.

One day I talk him into going and just watch a big local SASS shoot. He's got all the guns and I figured he might want to use them for some fun before he dies! Pick him up for the the short drive to the range and he is fully decked out in his best "Montana rancher outfit". Stuff he uses when he goes to Montana a couple of times a year to visit/work on a friend's quest ranch. Mind you it aint what he wears to work any more than my SASS outfit is what I wore around the house back then on a "normal" day. We arrive in the parking lot and his first proclamation was, "Bet these guys don't wear that stuff every day!" as if he actually wore his "costume" on a daily basis back home :)

It was a clue as to what he really thought of CAS I guess. I just missed the hints. I've since moved and have my own "tidy" ten acres. I spend more time keeping the irrigation lines running and shoveling horse apples than I do riding or shooting. Some how I missed the reality of what I was "buying" into. And even in my best custom boots, I don't care to spend a full day in them on foot. If I need a hand gun it might be a SAA but it is generally going to be a very small one if I do. But I am happy where I am at.

But I do wear a cowboy hat many, many hours every day to keep the sun out of my eyes and off my noggin :) That has to count for something I figure. There is a song that goes like this..."All I want to do is work hard, live a simple life and wear a cowboy hat!" May we all be so blessed.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Yahoody, I love the wood on your wife's 53 Winchester. Looks like a super rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Kid Sopris, based on some of the items I have purchased from you, I expected that your SASS would be top shelf, you didn't disappoint. I love the picture of the table with Leather and Iron & Ivory !

Thanks for sharing, have a great day.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Don't forget your Gun Carts..

This first one is a 1/4 scale 1880 fright wagon.. All axles and steering was reconfigured from actual 1880's wagon and made to fit this quarter scale. Wheels were new and steering became easy with the Hayne. Rifle box was made by yours truly / Winchester boxes for ammo, essentials and one was a cooler to hold cold drinks and food. yes I took the ex wifes name off....

This is an "Off The Wall Gun Cart"...He is retired and mo longer makes these carts..Extremely well built and pricey.

·
Banned
8,681 Posts
Forgot these.

Tue, August 5, 2014 8:19 pm

"Hello,
Thank you. These are my first pair of Colts .45's that I used for shooting
when I started in 1991. They helped me win my first two EOT titles in 1995 and 1996 or
97, I think. I switched to a smaller caliber afterwards. I had two pair of 2nd Gen
Colts in .357 that I used. That was also what my mentor at the time, Deady Redly
advised me to do. Deadly Redly and Bounty Hunter were my mentors. The were great
people and friends. :)"

Lhanie Acilo
aka "Island Girl", SASS #2451
4 time overall SASS Woman's World Champion
1997, 1998, 1999, 2000

They are real shooters! I don't use them much but should...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have only had the pleasure of CAS match while visiting my friend Roy's ranch between Cheyenne and Laramie.

we spent the day before mowing the range and setting up targets. Roy loaned me some of his stuff and I had a great time.

Thanks for sharing all the pictures....I have really enjoyed this thread.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think you all have very nice stuff and look great. I think I would like to try getting into something like that, but I've talked to some of my "hang --out-- buds" at the LGS that are really into it, to really get into it, with-out a horse, is EXPENSIVE............but hey.

Looks like a lo of fun . Good escape from reality and those costumes - look pretty neat. Have FUN!!!!!

SHOOT'EM UP !

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I think you all have very nice stuff and look great. I think I would like to try getting into something like that, but I've talked to some of my "hang --out-- buds" at the LGS that are really into it, to really get into it, with-out a horse, is EXPENSIVE............but hey.

Looks like a lo of fun . Good escape from reality and those costumes - look pretty neat. Have FUN!!!!!

SHOOT'EM UP !
Horses are easy to come by and add a extra dimension to the sport......ROFLMAO

Attachments

·
Banned
8,681 Posts
Hawkman said:
....really into it, to really get into it, with-out a horse, is EXPENSIVE............but hey...
It is expensive by any standard..at least from my pocket book outlook.

A vintage style shot gun (which you can general borrow if required) a lever gun in a pistol caliber and a pair of handguns.

It is a heady investment for a newbie or a long time shooter is you only have 2 of the four. In the old days we started with any lever gun ...lots of 30-30s back then (a nice '73 Uberti was $900 in '93) and used appropriate targets. And you only needed one hand gun. Many of the guys who actually started the sport also shot at the beginning of "combat pistol and IPSC. Everyone wanted to shoot. But always a balance between costumes/reality and the run and gun fantasy. I like shooting 10 pistol in evey stage but I could easily go back to just one hand gun and be happy about it.

I found something pretty pure about just 5 rounds in a SAA and 5 targets to hit or knock down in a stage. We thought we were really mixing it up when you added a rifle or a few shot gun rounds to that 5 handgun rounds :) Less weight on the belt and quicker stages made for a reasonably short match day back then.

Big thing now is the population leaving SASS and not enough new folk joining. Personally I think the amount of $ in guns required isn't helpful for that situation.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
The one thing that I didn't like about Cowboy Action was how close the targets were. Marksmanship was not part of the challenge. Lots of IPSC guys, like you say, and they liked any competition to be a speed event. I used to say "put the silhouettes further out....I can kick one over at this range." Guys and gals popping off low velocity .38 special rounds as fast as they could cock and fire, no aiming required....

The scoring was all about how many seconds (because if you actually missed a target....you were really bad) to finish. Put those targets 2-3 times further out, and see how good those fast shooters are. Yes, I guess it's similar to a gunfight....but I still don't like it. I quit in 1999.

I liked BPCR much better. There, you have to be able to shoot. 200 yards offhand, to start, and longer range out to 500 with the sticks. Cowboy was kind of like the community theater to me - you get to dress up and act.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts