Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
BighipI..that depends :) What class do you shoot in SASS?
Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. Is there any other category? I am considering dabbling in classic cowboy. I plan to use my cavalry colt and a dragoon that I have just sent off to get a kirst cylinder fitted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, bighipiron definitely wins this! :D...I'd love to post a photo of my cowboy gear, I will likely have to that once I get my colt back from some engraving, so I will be updating this thread at that time I imagine!

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
OK while wait for Hollywood's engraved guns to show up I'll bump this one :)

I keep posting chit I don't use in SASS like spurs...and saddles and such.

So here's an update on the "island Girl Guns"..

To refresh our memories :)

Lhanie Acilo
aka "Island Girl", SASS #2451
4 time overall SASS Woman's World Champion
1997, 1998, 1999, 2000

They are real shooters! I don't use them much but should...

A lot of top quality smithing went into these guns prior to me getting them. Barrels were turned to shoot POA. Front sights were cut and serrated for a better sight picture and amazing trigger jobs and timing sorted.

I'm not a big fan of the factory black Eagle factory grips so they needed to go but with some nod to the originals that Island Girl used to win her World Championships. Carved ivory by Gene @ Gunner products was my answer. Had Nutmeg re-checker and reblue the hammers so they are even easier to cock. And finally I had Jim Marin pull the fixe bushings and drill he cylinders for removable bushing. Now we have a "proper" set of Colt's :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
First, to answer the original question of this thread, I used to shoot a pair of Cimarron '72 Open Tops in .44 Russian, a '73 Win clone in .44-40 and either a generic SxS or a Coyote Cap 1887 Win. Also have two Uberti 73s in .44-40. Leather is all Bachman along with a bloody big bowie knife my daughter made me using the jawbone of a buffalo I killed out in KS. Have a Shiloh .45-90 Sharps I used on the buff and for long range in CAS.

Like someone else mentioned, I started in CAS back when all you needed was a single handgun, a rifle and a SxS. Started shooting it in Augusta, ME where the focus was on having a lot of fun, genial competition and busting each other's chops. Over the years, I have seen the ultra competitive folk sort of take over the game - back then it was called a game not a sport. That's where I started losing interest a bit. The Maine club did some crazy stuff in stages like having a buzzard fly down at you out of the trees as a shotgun target and some other wacky things that were a challenge but good for a laugh. The super competitive guys didn't like it. At clubs I've shot at since ME, I have heard a lot less laughter and comraderie so I think that has contributed to the drop off in members.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Here is some "cowboy action" for you! I live near Tombstone, and you can ride your horses (or mules) into town. We would ride, armed, into town, tie them up at a hitch in front of Big Nosed Kate's, and get a beer and burger. You had to turn in your guns (note my Colt Army Special) when you arrived at the local drug store. They'd hang the gun on a peg, and give you a number. It was all very cool. Some of me and my wife, on two of our mules.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Greaves, same thing happened to me with Cowboy Action becoming too cold and competitive when I left New Mexico in 2000. There, the range officers were all about fun, promoting newbies into shooting, etc. Even us experienced shooters were laid back. Here in AZ, it was a lot of speed shooters trying to convert the sport into all rapid fire, super close IPSC style shooting. They all shoot slicked up, wimpy .38 Specials and such. But it's still fun, I do it once in a blue moon. And I shoot only original guns, in big calibers.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here is some "cowboy action" for you! I live near Tombstone, and you can ride your horses (or mules) into town. We would ride, armed, into town, tie them up at a hitch in front of Big Nosed Kate's, and get a beer and burger. You had to turn in your guns (note my Colt Army Special) when you arrived at the local drug store. They'd hang the gun on a peg, and give you a number. It was all very cool. Some of me and my wife, on two of our mules.

That's pretty cool. The town I'm nearest had a grant given to council a few years ago to restore mainstreet to a "Historic Mainstreet" of days gone by, wooden sidewalks, antiqued storefronts, street poles & such.. was a bid to promote tourism in the dying rural areas. Anyway, buddy of mine & his girlfriend rode to town last Saturday for ice cream; hooked up with me at my closest pasture and made a big loop back to our main-yard. Ended up a 25(?) mile day if I recall... he told me when they were getting their ice creams in the store a crowd gathered around, nobody could believe their eyes seeing his horses out front (lol) Made the day for everyone, don't see many/any horses in town these days!!!

Back to Tombstone though; I was sure I read earlier this spring that Tombstone declared themselves an Open-Carry town or Open-Carry capital of the State (or something like that?) Someday I'd like to go there.

And regarding your mule.. you guys always ride with a Britchen' on? I've only ever knew them for packing. Have you got it on there to sturdy-up the saddle & keep it from rolling on the mules narrow back maybe?? (just curious)

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

Back to Tombstone though; I was sure I read earlier this spring that Tombstone declared themselves an Open-Carry town or Open-Carry capital of the State (or something like that?) Someday I'd like to go there.

And regarding your mule.. you guys always ride with a Britchen' on? I've only ever knew them for packing. Have you got it on there to sturdy-up the saddle & keep it from rolling on the mules narrow back maybe?? (just curious)
I'm pretty sure they don't want armed people walking around, other than the cowboy actors.

I use a britchen or crouper on just some mules. The reason is some don't have any withers. When going down a steep hill, the saddle can slip forward. That bay mule, Cricket (I still have her), is an expert at using that technique to get some grazing time. She's very barrel backed. When my son was riding her once, with no britchen, he paused on a steep hill, facing downwards. The mule took that opportunity to "accidentally" put her head down to graze, feeling the loose saddle from a couple hours of ridding.

Swish! the saddle slipped forward, all the way down her neck, my son riding it down until he landed on his feet in front of her head! She just looked at him, saddle around her neck, like "there...take that." And started eating. Mules don't like to exert themselves and so seldom buck. But they have other methods to get you off.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Let's see if this worked. If not, I'll try again with photobucket

I guess photo bucket works better:

This is my typical setup I run with. A nickel colt and a really nice CCH one with dall sheep horn. TTN hammered double, and a new Winchester 73 in 44-40. All black powder of course. When I switch it out, it's usually a set of colt second gen 1851's that I wear in a reverse draw, then bring along either my uberti 1866 carbine or my original winchester 1873 in 38-40:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
i'm pretty sure they don't want armed people walking around, other than the cowboy actors.

I use a britchen or crouper on just some mules. The reason is some don't have any withers. When going down a steep hill, the saddle can slip forward. That bay mule, cricket (i still have her), is an expert at using that technique to get some grazing time. She's very barrel backed. When my son was riding her once, with no britchen, he paused on a steep hill, facing downwards. The mule took that opportunity to "accidentally" put her head down to graze, feeling the loose saddle from a couple hours of ridding.

Swish! The saddle slipped forward, all the way down her neck, my son riding it down until he landed on his feet in front of her head! She just looked at him, saddle around her neck, like "there...take that." and started eating. Mules don't like to exert themselves and so seldom buck. But they have other methods to get you off.
now that's funny.

·
Registered
247 Posts
azshot; I checked back on that Tombstone comment.. it was Washington Times that had an article early winter regarding the town declared as the "Second Amendment City" (not Open Carry capital) Knew it was something along those lines though. Was dubbed with that title for its History and also in part with the States still-current relaxed restrictions for Open & Concealed carry. Not at all which is bad** I'm of the opinion that favors such things myself.

Texas, Arizona, Montana & Wyoming.. my kinda places. May the Farms & Ranches allow things to stay the old-way/the way they are forever. The Cattle, the ranches, the lifestyle; all of it. And may a sixgun always have its place out there.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Texas, Arizona, Montana & Wyoming.. my kinda places. May the Farms & Ranches allow things to stay the old-way/the way they are forever. The Cattle, the ranches, the lifestyle; all of it. And may a sixgun always have its place out there.
Let's not be forgittin Ideehoo....

"Work hard, live a simple life and wear a cowboy hat"

·
Registered
291 Posts
azshot; I checked back on that Tombstone comment.. it was Washington Times that had an article early winter regarding the town declared as the "Second Amendment City" (not Open Carry capital) Knew it was something along those lines though. Was dubbed with that title for its History and also in part with the States still-current relaxed restrictions for Open & Concealed carry. Not at all which is bad** I'm of the opinion that favors such things myself.

A man after my own heart :) Its still fairly quiet around here, but Montana did just clear 1 million residents a couple years ago ;)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Let's not be forgittin Ideehoo....

"Work hard, live a simple life and wear a cowboy hat"
I like the bucking rolls on your saddle. They are red, aren't they? Kinda looks like they have yellow stitching too. I also would love to have a canteen like that. Where did you find that one?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a pair of 2nd gen Navys just like these. Do yours use .380 size balls? .375 seem too small in mine. And are yours fitted with slick shot nipples? Pretty sweet guns, sir!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have a pair of 2nd gen Navys just like these. Do yours use .380 size balls? .375 seem too small in mine. And are yours fitted with slick shot nipples? Pretty sweet guns, sir!
Yes mine loves .380 balls. And yeah I put slick shot nipples on them, as well as a boat load of other stuff to keep them running. I have not had the best of luck with these two guns. I just snapped the loading lever off one of them last time I shot it. Luckily a new uberti one from VTI fits just fine.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Garret said:
I like the bucking rolls on your saddle. They are red, aren't they? Kinda looks like they have yellow stitching too. I also would love to have a canteen like that. Where did you find that one?
Not a big fan of bucking rolls on a slick fork. Riding with them on a Wade tree always makes me wonder why I didn't just put a Association or Will James swell fork on the horse in the first place :) One of your fellow Montana's built those out of a friend's old boot tops. Gift to my wife. He makes saddle pockets out of tops as well. The canteen was from a maker in California long dead now. But Sharps Saddlery still makes them. I like this one because it was designed to hang on the horn. Bet you family could do it better.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts