Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
It is very possible......the best way is to contact colt historical records and get them to check the records and see if it was shipped with a 3" barrel....if so it's a no brainer that it was a sheriff's model.

800 962 2658 ext 1849

Reactions: Rick

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
the answer is yes. according to the book Colt's single action army revolver by doc O'Meara. he list a couple 32-20's in 3.5" barrel's and one with 4" barrel. oh 3" barrel, none listed. sorry

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
I wouldn't sweat what a book said....I would sweat what the factory letter says on that particular serial number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. I will call Colt archives and ask....obviously a huge difference in the value of the pistol if it's a sheriff's model. I cannot see any markings on the barrel so my worry is that someone removed the extractor shroud from a normal SAA and ground the extractor lug down to make it appear to be a sheriff's or storekeepers model.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it might actually letter because it would be a pretty rare find if original. If you get a chance post some good close up pictures of the ejector housing side (or where it would have been. Unless the gun is really worn the barrel should read "32 w.c.f. on the same side of the barrel as the frame markings.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hondo44, Yes I measured from rear cylinder face to end of barrel and came up with exactly 3".
Cool, just double checking, figured you knew that but every so often that happens. Hoping the letter confirms the 3", I would not be surprised that it is original!

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not so good news... the serial number checked out as an original 7 1/2" SAA in 32-20. It's not the end of the world, I applied the Letter Fee to another 1st generation 4 3/4" SAA in .45, with stag grips. It was an original blue pistol that has been nickel plated along time ago but still worth the letter to me! I would post pics if I could figure out how-to on this forum! Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Sorry the ejectorless didn't pan out....it was a long shot but you have to check them out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts