Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Been really enjoying this forum allot since I joined and have found the people here to be the most helpful of any other forum. As the title says I contacted a FFL for Cerakotr a cerakote service (Great work and price) and when I asked how to send the handgun he told me to use USPS. At first I thought he meant UPS but he clarified to use USPS and ship the handgun in a non firing condition in a Priority Flatrate box and after hes done he will ship it back the same way.

I'm not one to argue with the guy who has been around for a while and have checked his FFL is real but I thought USPS will not accept handguns only long guns?

As it is I could send the gun knowing that Priority mail is not searchable without probable cause (I would never place gun stickers or gun related stuff on ANY box regardless) and a search warrant but I prefer your opinions on this. The guy has perfect feedback for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Functional firearm or not, the FRAME is considered a firearm by the feds & the PO regs prohibit cartridge-firing handgun mailing unless in conjunction with an FFL.

I don't care what the guy (or those who say "Dis-assemble & ship as machine parts) tells you, it is not legal.
Long guns you CAN mail yourself.
Denis

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea that's what I was thinking too. I know I must look like a cheepo SOB but FFL transfers are not $10-25 here in PR ($75-100 is the norm) and although it pains me I think I will try with Fedex. Do any of you guys have experience with them? Can I just go to any Fedex (not just the HQ) and ask them to ship the gun? I imagine their service will be more expensive but how much so?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so I can head over to any Fedex then? I really hate these kind of laws! I can ship a 25mm Anti-Material rifle through USPS no problem but for a stupid (Forgive me Colt) Colt Commander I need to jump through hoops. Was this law made after JFK?

Anywho, does anybody remmember how much it was to ship with Fedex? I'm guessing its going to be a special service deal like Colt75 said.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
........ but FFL transfers are not $10-25 here in PR ($75-100 is the norm) ....?
Have you actually checked with an FFL in your area? Mailing a gun for purposes of gunsmithing work or repair is legally not the same as a full-fledged transfer of ownership AFAIK, although I don't claim special legal expertise, but it would be worth checking out considering the fees at stake.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hi all! Been really enjoying this forum allot since I joined and have found the people here to be the most helpful of any other forum. As the title says I contacted a FFL for Cerakotr a cerakote service (Great work and price) and when I asked how to send the handgun he told me to use USPS. At first I thought he meant UPS but he clarified to use USPS and ship the handgun in a non firing condition in a Priority Flatrate box and after hes done he will ship it back the same way.

I'm not one to argue with the guy who has been around for a while and have checked his FFL is real but I thought USPS will not accept handguns only long guns?

As it is I could send the gun knowing that Priority mail is not searchable without probable cause (I would never place gun stickers or gun related stuff on ANY box regardless) and a search warrant but I prefer your opinions on this. The guy has perfect feedback for what its worth.
Never heard of US Post Office accepting handguns, anyone sending guns back and forth would know that. Odd...

Don't play fast and loose with USPS, call him again and tell him you're sending it UPS. Then take it unloaded in a carrying case to main UPS shipping center in your area. They will tell you which of their boxes to use (buy) and off it will go, one or 2-day Air.

If it has to go FFL to FFL take it to your FFL. That's simplest way.

My principle is to be clean as a whistle with any regulations, not worth the downside - and anything off the straight and narrow, should the unlikely event of being investigated for a Self-Defense shooting ever happen, will be used against you. It looks like since you broke one rule maybe you broke another in wounding or killing a supposed assailant. And should you ever be Charged for Murder Two in such an incident, can easily be used to give the wrong impression of you to a Jury. Of course a rarity, but read the newspapers, every day rare things that shouldn't happen happen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you actually checked with an FFL in your area? Mailing a gun for purposes of gunsmithing work or repair is legally not the same as a full-fledged transfer of ownership AFAIK, although I don't claim special legal expertise, but it would be worth checking out considering the fees at stake.
Yep. Sounds insane I know but that's how Puerto Rico gunship work, in fact the gun it not actually mine none of the guns are "mine" in Puerto Rico guns are registered to people and we are forced to use a license system. A glock 19 that you could buy anywhere in the USA for 400-500$ is around 650$ and mags 50$ each. Ammo is also registered. Things are just supper expensive. Also gunshops here don't care what the reason is to send a gun out is, they will just charge the same regardless because it it is considered a transfer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never heard of US Post Office accepting handguns, anyone sending guns back and forth would know that. Odd...

Don't play fast and loose with USPS, call him again and tell him you're sending it UPS. Then take it unloaded in a carrying case to main UPS shipping center in your area. They will tell you which of their boxes to use (buy) and off it will go, one or 2-day Air.

My principle is to be clean as a whistle with any regulations, not worth the downside - and anything off the straight and narrow, should the unlikely event of being investigated for a Self-Defense shooting ever happen, will be used against you. It looks like since you broke one rule maybe you broke another in wounding or killing a supposed assailant. And should you ever be Charged for Murder Two in such an incident, can easily be used to give the wrong impression of you to a Jury. Of course a rarity, but read the newspapers, every day rare things that shouldn't happen happen.
Thanks. The guy was not insistant that's I do it only that way he just said its the easiest way. It will probably be done by Fedex and I'll tell my dad to slap down the cash for shipping. Don't worry I have never so much as had a fight back in middle shcool. I don't like the current law but I will not break it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
FedEx is sometimes a little cranky as some of their clerks don't really know the regulations and they will tell you they have to have a copy of the recipients FFL. That is BS, but if they insist, have your recipient fax them a copy to appease them.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Just to clarify a 01 dealer can ship handguns through USPS ,its is by far the most cost effective way to do it-again for a dealer,we fill out a 1508 form,I use USPS exclusively for handguns .

Both UPS and Fed Ex require next day (due to theft issues) and it must be done at a hub-not outlet.
The best way for a unlicensed individual to ship a handgun is;
Have the manufacture send a call tag (they may have a better deal that allows for 2 day shipment though common carrier)
or pay a FFL to ship it USPS.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I know the OP is talking about sending the gun to a "gunsmith" for a re-work and not to muddy up the waters on this post or hijack it. I've sent firearms back to the maker for repairs using Fed Ex; no problem. But based on the information in the responses how does a non-FFL, lets say on Gun Broker sell a gun and send it to the buyers specified FFL using the USPS? Ads even say sometimes to make sure the receiving FFL will accept the gun from a non-FFL. I've purchased several like this and I've currently got a Colt DS coming from Washington State that's not an FFL holder. He's sending directly using USPS to my specified FFL gun shop. Is he doing it unlawfully? I'm sorry but I'm confused now. Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have an arrangement with a local gunshop where they handle all my shipping through USPS for me for a fee. They get a few bucks and I still get it done for less than half the cost of shipping it myself through UPS because they insist on overnight shipping. I also have found that I cannot ship through one of the UPS Store franchises-I have to drive to the main terminal and then go through the hassle of finding someone working there who knows the law. It just makes sense for me to go to the FFL

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I have an arrangement with a local gunshop where they handle all my shipping through USPS for me for a fee. They get a few bucks and I still get it done for less than half the cost of shipping it myself through UPS because they insist on overnight shipping. I also have found that I cannot ship through one of the UPS Store franchises-I have to drive to the main terminal and then go through the hassle of finding someone working there who knows the law. It just makes sense for me to go to the FFL
Very good plan. Don't know why I never thought of that. Of course I have used gunshops to send and receive, but never thought of having them use USPS to at least partially offset their fee.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.