Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if an individual can ship a long gun to a dealer using USPS? According to the USPS website it appears one can but I am getting conflicting info on this. I called the USPS and they told me I could as long as it wasn't a handgun or a long gun that is concealable. I have some rifles sold on Gunbroker that I will need to ship and I've never shipped a gun except back to the manufacturer.

Will UPS ship from an individual to a dealer? Or will they ship only if it's going back to the manufacturer? This is getting to be such a pain that it's easier just to hang on to them or else find someone local to sell to.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That seems pretty clear. I'm kind of concerned what the reaction will be at the post office when I declare the package to be a gun. You get a different answer from each person that you talk to there. I'll let the forum know how it turns out.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Yes, a big part of the problem seems to be the carriers' employees not knowing the rules and wanting to protect themselves. In a way, you can't blame them. If you are going to do this with any regularity, you might want to develop a relationship (business /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) with an FFL. An individual with lots of firearm transactions can look like an unlicensed "dealer" to the ATF. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I stopped by the local post office on my lunch hour and spoke with the man behind the counter. He said to box them up and bring them in they will ship them (2 rifles and a shotgun). He said that they have to be unloaded (of course) and to take the bolts out of them (which I would do anyway). He said it was up to me to make sure that I am in compliance with all of the ATF's rules, i.e. make sure the person being shipped to has an FFL, etc.

He said they recommend registered mail. Fair enough, works for me.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I believe most FFLs that ship handguns USPS do so Priority, insured, but those are smaller packages. I'd say at least such that you can get delivery confirmation. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
58 Posts
guys instead of speculation, here is the number the USPS gave me, specializing in firearms. The gentleman I spoke too has been doing his job for over 20 years. Very nice & knew his stuff on guns & snail mail.

303 470-0752

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as a follow up. I did ship 3 guns (2 rifles and a shotgun) that I sold on Gunbroker by USPS Priority mail. Had no problems. Everything arrived fine. USPS will ship long guns for non-licensees. You must be an FFL holder to ship handguns. I shipped Priority mail with insurance and confirmation and it was cheaper than UPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts