Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of these, one is pre-1899, and could ship directly to the purchaser.

The other two, 1900 and 1901 production, require shipment to an FFL. My understanding is that I can ship directly to an FFL and would have to use a non postal service carrier like FedEx. Do I have to declare the contents (e.g., a firearm) within?

These are mechanically sound firearms with little to no finish left, well used, but not abused. Each has a factory letter. Haven't decided whether to sell or not, but would offer in the $2000 to $2500 range, and your responses would better enable me to list these fairly and account for any additional fees.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
You can ship directly to an FFL with FedEx. You must declare it's a firearm, you must send it overnight and you must not have any reference to firearms on the outside of the box like Bob' Gun Shop. FedEx has no insurance as we know it, they have a "declared value". If you want a good laugh, ask them how that works!:bang_wall:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Rick Bowles! That's what I thought, but just confirming...but was unsure about declaring contents within.

I have mostly pre-1899 firearms and am thinking of selling these three as they are not pre-1899 and/or more "entry level", with regards to condition.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
When I shipped my colt saa for some work I shipped it through my LGS. I took it to them and they boxed it up, ask me for how much I want to insure it for and they took care of it. The LGS didn't charge me for their part, only the ups fee. Easy peasy lemon squeeze.:cool:

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Today I went to the same FedEx at which I have shipped dozens of firearms in the past four years. There was a new young clerk of indeterminable gender who proceeded to tell me that, as a private individual, I could not ship a firearm unless I held an FFL. I explained that if I had an FFL I could ship with the USPS and I wouldn't need a common carrier like FedEx. I genuinely and calmly tried to explain both the law and FedEx policy to this person but she (perhaps) said that she had been with FedEx FOUR whole years and knew everything. The clerk then said that the address didn't look like a business and it should say something like John Doe Firearms or Bagadoughnuts Gun Shop. As I was explaining why that would be against the law, she turned her back to me and went in the back room. You gotta know when to fold'em so I took my package home and called FedEx corporate and filed the appropriate complaint. They agreed that what I told her was 100% correct and she was completely wrong. I was told that she may get some more training but I'm not holding my breath. :mad:

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
Sounds like another self-important snowflake.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
You can also ship them directly to a C&R holder via FEDEX.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
What's the use of laws, when young workers with political agendas can override them, and their host company's policies? Happens all the time, like when a MCD worker refuses to serve people based on their race, creed, career, or national origin. Someone ought to write something in the Constitution about it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts