Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few of these commemorative pythons around that Colt did for some law enforcement agencies. As most of the guns are unfired, they command a relatively high price. However, if one were to find an unfired commemorative python at a "reasonable" price, would you buy it as a shooter?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Some purists will say that commemoratives are not as collectible and may actually detract from the gun's value ... everyone has their own opinion on this. as commemeratives, I'd be shooting them.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I would agree with the previous posters I would shoot it.The comemoritives that I have seen are UGLY as Flo anyway.JMO D*

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I agree with each poster before me. If you are going to keep the gun, it's totally up to you as to how you enjoy it; shooting or not.

If you intend to sell it at some later point, it may depend on who the gun would attract as how much it would depreciate if it shows that it was actually fired.

And again, I agree that some commemoratives are not particularly collectible to some. A close friend has a State Trooper Python that has a waiting list of other State Troopers who wish to buy it when, or if, it goes up for sale.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If 2 pythons are on a table, same cond. same price and one is a comm. I would take the plain one I think the engravings take away from the beauty of a python. Its just like a beautiful woman the less on the better.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Buy, Shoot, Enjoy!

I will never understand, although I completely accept, how the market values most commemorative Pythons. One will often see one of the law enforcement commemorative Pythons sell for a discount relative to similarly configured standard production Pythons. I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that it is usually one of the Royal Blue Pythons with gold leaf that sells at a discount, like the version that I have pictured below. This particular example consisted of 200 units, and came with a set of very nice smooth rosewood stocks with Custom Shop Medallions, and a very fine American walnut Colt Custom Shop display case. The unfluted cylinder is another unique feature. But like so many Colt Commemorative pieces, the market has declared it unsuitable for "investment" purposes and its value has accordingly suffered.

There are a few Commemorative Pythons that seem to do better in terms of value. The polished nickel specimens with minimal etchings are beautiful Pythons that seem to have a stronger following, particularly those that are accompanied by the original box, custom shop label, manual and paperwork.

To your question, of course any of these special edition or commemorative Pythons would be suitable as a shooter, especially if it is purchased at a "shooter" price.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
It depends on whether it's a Colt factory commemorative or one made by someone like "America Remembers".
The non-Colt "America Remembers" or "American Historical" guns are never worth the original issue price and seldom appreciate in value.

Colt factory jobs are always more valuable then non-Colt, and most center fire Colt commemoratives are always worth more than a standard production gun simply because they are factory done.
The Scout .22's are usually worth little or no more then a production Scout because Colt made so many of them and they usually weren't as nicely done as center fire models.

However, fire ONE shot through a factory commemorative or lose ANY of the papers, box, tag, or anything else that shipped with it and the value goes down.
How much depends on the actual commemorative. Some are very valuable and even fired or missing items can still be valuable.

So, if a Colt factory commemorative is fired or missing items, depending on the actual model, it can be considered a shooter.
A non-Colt factory job is never worth the sell price and if used or missing items it's pretty much just a shooter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kanatak, The python in your pictures is the one in question - Minneapolis Police. I personally think it is one fine looking gun. As to what constitutes a shooter price: If this was the cheapest python you could get your hands on due to the devaluation of commemoratives (even with box, tag, papers intact), and knowing it was unfired, would you buy it as a shooter? Let's say hypothetically that is what I did and now I am having second thoughts about actually pulling the trigger (both figuratively and literally).

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
If I were in the market for a 6" Python that I could shoot and enjoy, and the best price available happens to be a commemorative, then yes it makes sense to buy it. I do understand a possible dilemma once you get it home and realize how well made the gun is, that one might have a change of heart and want to keep it unfired. What ever you decide, best of luck. I don't think you can go wrong.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If you purchased it at a good price shoot it. I have found people are more interested in getting a plain gun rather than an engraved or dazzled up one as a collector. The police commemorative guns are only worth something to someone from that department or someone with some type of tie to that department. I would shoot it plus how many range conversations will come out of it shooting a dazzled gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts