Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12,840 Posts
You should be able to get Back Powder via Mail Order.

That's how I got most of mine.

Get like 5 Lbs or something and that way the shipping and hazmat are easily forgotten.

Otherwise, I used to use Pyrodex years ago, and, I found I much preferred Black Powder to it.

Far as I recall, Pyrodex is a 'Volume-by-Volume' propellant, but with no compression or crushing.

So, whatever it takes to fill up the room there would be, under the Ball or Bullet, without the seating of the Ball or Bullet compressing or crushing it, then, that is how much one would use in a Percussion Revolver or Metallic Cartridge.

· Registered
12,840 Posts
Black Powder is just the most fun and the best all round for the Cap & Ball ( or even many Metallic Cartridges originally meant for it ).

Clean up is easy, Hot Soapy Water and a Brush ) and, one can even use Bees Wax 'wafers' between Ball/Bullet and Powder, which eliminate fouling as well...letting you shoot all one would ever want with no binding or build up, between cleanings/washings.

'Swiss' Powder is said to be the best...and, is closest to the better grades of what was in use back when.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.